PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing furniture

PeterJ
2004-10-04, 04:32 PM
I have a floor plan where certain items of furniture will not display in a certain area. It is a very odd problem but the standard Shaker bed will not display despite other furniture displaying correctly. The issue is limited to one area on plan and to this one view, the same bed shows correctly elsewhere on plan.

I have looked at worksets, plan regions, view/visibility settings and other bits of hidden geometry. Doesn't seem to be any of these.

Anyone have any thoughts?

adegnan
2004-10-04, 05:17 PM
I had a toilet that would not print. It showed up on the display, it showed up in the preview (i think) but it would not print!!

I believe that I deleted the instances and unloaded the family than re-loaded the family and it worked. Re-loading the family alone was not enough to fix it in my case.

bclarch
2004-10-04, 06:37 PM
Does the cut plane cut through the bed?

Andre Baros
2004-10-04, 07:23 PM
Let me know if you figure it out. I have a table with 4 chairs around it and 1 chair always fails to print.

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-04, 07:45 PM
I wonder if it isn't a badly-behaving object. Try turning off all categories except furniture. Does it appear now? It could be an object in another category that is messing up the processing of the view. If you can figure out which category it's on, then you can work on locating the object, deleting it, purging it, and then reloading and replacing it.

Phil Palmer
2004-10-05, 08:01 AM
Peter,

Have you checked to see that there isn't a plan region in that area ?

ilya.bass
2004-10-05, 10:58 AM
I have a floor plan where certain items of furniture will not display in a certain area. It is a very odd problem but the standard Shaker bed will not display despite other furniture displaying correctly. The issue is limited to one area on plan and to this one view, the same bed shows correctly elsewhere on plan.

I have looked at worksets, plan regions, view/visibility settings and other bits of hidden geometry. Doesn't seem to be any of these.

Please contact Autodesk Revit Support (you are a subscriber, so it's free!). They'll be more than happy to look at it and send it over to us developers if it looks like a software issue. Above all, expect a prompt response.

Dear users, I beg you, use Autodesk Revit Support that you are entitled to!

http://pointa.autodesk.com/local/enu/portal/signin.jsp

thanks

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-05, 11:23 AM
Dear users, I beg you, use Autodesk Revit Support that you are entitled to!And the reason they don't ask for help is because of that rugged, Hemingway-like individualism that typifies the intrepid souls known as Revit users...

Still, Ilya sounds pretty desperate so we'd better send him our files. [Office Space mode] Peter, I'm going to get you to go ahead and get right on that, okay? [/Office Space mode]

Martin P
2004-10-05, 12:03 PM
Dont use them Pete... I had the same problem, its a bug in the families. Basically they are bad objects. they started making bald patches all over some of our drawings. Imported DWGs or something - I dont know, I just stopped using them and made some 100% Revit families instead....

All sized as per Housing for Varying Needs and they workl :) - If you'd got the exchange up and running you'd have them already!! ;)

Martin P
2004-10-05, 12:06 PM
and some other bits...

tatlin
2004-10-05, 12:14 PM
And the reason they don't ask for help is because of that rugged, Hemingway-like individualism that typifies the intrepid souls known as Revit users...

Still, Ilya sounds pretty desperate so we'd better send him our files. [Office Space mode] Peter, I'm going to get you to go ahead and get right on that, okay? [/Office Space mode]
Wes,

LOL! <OSM> N'kay? Yeah... why don't you go 'head and do that? <\OSM>

Seriously,

Autodesk Revit Support is something <old skool> revit users probably know about and have used. I wonder how many new users of revit simply are not aware of it?

Most people are simply not used to this level of support from adsk, but in fact it's free as part of subscription.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-05, 12:58 PM
Wes,

LOL! <OSM> N'kay? Yeah... why don't you go 'head and do that? <OSM>

Seriously,

Autodesk Revit Support is something <old skool> revit users probably know about and have used. I wonder how many new users of revit simply are not aware of it?

Most people are simply not used to this level of support from adsk, but in fact it's free as part of subscription.
true, the old timers here are still on a friendly basis with their original CSA, I know I am ;)

good point about new users, perhaps we should make an effort here to get the word out.

-Z

Andre Baros
2004-10-05, 02:29 PM
Free support form Autodesk, come on, the last time I called with an AutoCAD question they charged me to tell me they couldn't answer it.

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-05, 02:51 PM
LOL! <OSM> N'kay? Yeah... why don't you go 'head and do that? <\OSM>My mother, who is quite personable, is still not a joke-cracker by any means. However, she has got plenty of mileage out of this movie...

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-05, 02:52 PM
Free support form Autodesk, come on, the last time I called with an AutoCAD question they charged me to tell me they couldn't answer it.The Revit guys are less institutionalised.

PeterJ
2004-10-05, 03:13 PM
See, Ilya, you must have access to that subscriber database and probably know that as an EMEA user I have been shunted onto a reseller support model, if I choose to pay. I'm a reasonably old skool Revit user and I still have a good relationship with my old CSA but how often do I speak with her these days? We can get Autodesk support direct but are discouraged from doing so - and we raise our voices and say but what about the North Americans?

I'll try your link and I'll use Martin's families too.

Thanks for all the responses.

<Edit>Ilya, I had a look at your link. It takes me to a page where I can follow a link to Web Support Demo Site but that link is back to the page I am reading at that time so I'm assuming that the Web Support is not yet live for a subscriber like me...I've tried IE, Mozilla, and logging in using English US and English Intl (in case I confused by the spelling of color/colour) and nothing gets me support.</Edit?

Damo
2004-10-05, 04:16 PM
I have a floor plan where certain items of furniture will not display in a certain area.
Anyone have any thoughts?Peter, It wouldn't be part of a group by any chance?

I had some plain vanilla Revit furniture that worked OK on floors 1-5, then on the 6th floor the bed would show correctly, but the bedside cabinets were hovering on the 7th floor, properties for the group told me they were located on level 7 +3000 offset (ie: 8th Floor).
Revit support said it was a bug in 'Groups' and would be fixed in Revit v7.

bluegreen
2004-10-06, 09:27 AM

At our Revit Technology centre the same problem came about with a door and it turned out that a portion of a white filled region was hanging over it creating all sorts of permutations to the problem. The door would show in some views and some times only a part of it in other views. Needless to say it took some time to find the problem. I suggest that you look around for something like that.