PDA

View Full Version : Count the number of Blocks in a drawing file

ajtrahan
2004-10-04, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a way to calculate how many blocks I have in a drawing and display the information as a field in a table for a schedule. Is this possible?

bpayne
2004-10-04, 07:56 PM
QuickSelect will tell you how many instances of a block there are in any given drawing, but I am not aware of a way to place that information in a field.

Mike.Perry
2004-10-04, 09:08 PM
Hi

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the ACAD 2005 General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58) Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Chuckyd67
2004-10-05, 12:36 PM
Without looking up the specific steps, you should be able to attach attributes to the blocks, giving them as much information as you dare. You can then generate a table of those objects.

RobertB
2004-10-06, 03:54 AM
I am looking for a way to calculate how many blocks I have in a drawing and display the information as a field in a table for a schedule. Is this possible?

Not really, at least with fields. By the time you use code to count the insertions, it is only one more step to slap that number in the table. A field won't help at all.

dkantrud5699
2005-06-08, 04:54 PM
In a demo of AutoCAD 2006 they showed a table being updated with the total number of inserted lights in a drawing but I don't know how they formatted the field in the cell of the table to do it..... I'd like to know?

If any one knows how to do this please let me know.

Opie
2005-06-08, 07:02 PM
In a demo of AutoCAD 2006 they showed a table being updated with the total number of inserted lights in a drawing but I don't know how they formatted the field in the cell of the table to do it..... I'd like to know?

If any one knows how to do this please let me know.
Try using the Attribute Extraction Wizard under Tools

dkantrud5699
2005-06-10, 04:38 PM
The Attribute Extraction Wizard was just what I was looking for... perfect.

Thank you RichardL.25628,

kevin.petursson
2006-06-02, 02:37 PM
dkantrud - the attribute extraction wizard is OK, as long as you have NO intentions of modifying the table it creates! If you modify it, and then change you drawing (add another instance of a block) it will prompt you to update the table, and it will destroy ALL of the modifications you made to the table! Not exactly what I would call friendly!!!
Mabey 2008 will have this fixed!

lmitsou
2006-06-02, 02:52 PM
You may want to give this a try

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=36328&page=3&pp=10&highlight=block+count

The dvb file by zoomharis is quite good!