PDA

View Full Version : Rooms in Detail View

Batman
2008-11-06, 03:31 AM
Should we be able to create rooms in Detail Views.

I create a detail view callout around my floor plan and then wanted to add and modify some of the rooms in Detail View. It won't let me add rooms. Is this right?

Also, if I create the room in the main floor plan and then attempt to move the room obect (diagonal cross) in detail view it will move, and shows this in the floor plan, but in the detail view it doesn't show it as moving.

Seems like odd behaviour and just wondering if I need to punch the PC...BAM!

BIMTom
2008-11-06, 11:38 AM
Is there a reason you are using Detail views instead of Callout views?

That may be the issue, that Revit does not expect you to place new rooms at 1 1/2" = 1'-0", but it might in a 1/4" enlarged plan. Without Revit in front of me I can't test it too much, but it can get picky about stuff like that once in a while.

Scott Womack
2008-11-06, 11:39 AM
Should we be able to create rooms in Detail Views.

I create a detail view callout around my floor plan and then wanted to add and modify some of the rooms in Detail View. It won't let me add rooms. Is this right?

Also, if I create the room in the main floor plan and then attempt to move the room obect (diagonal cross) in detail view it will move, and shows this in the floor plan, but in the detail view it doesn't show it as moving.

Are you referring to a true Detail callout, or a callout making an enlarged piece of the floor plan. They are different and have very different behaviors. You can create rooms, etc. in a callout that makes an enlarged floor plan, but not in a callout that creates a Detail view.

Batman
2008-11-06, 07:11 PM
Are you referring to a true Detail callout, or a callout making an enlarged piece of the floor plan.

Yep, a detail view callout opposed to a floor plan callout.

They are different and have very different behaviors. You can create rooms, etc. in a callout that makes an enlarged floor plan, but not in a callout that creates a Detail view.

Obviously, I suppose you mean it's not possible because it's been programmed that way. I would fashion a guess that rooms are only able to be created in floor plans???

Thankyou for posting reply's, greatly appreciated.

Just doesn't seem thouroughly thought through....

When you have a huge building floor plan and you want a detail view of a few rooms it doesn't seem unreasonable to want to place rooms within this view.

Also, when you need that callout to show on all intersecting views then detail views seems to be my only option.....

Scott Womack
2008-11-06, 07:44 PM
I would fashion a guess that rooms are only able to be created in floor plans???
Just doesn't seem thouroughly thought through....Also, when you need that callout to show on all intersecting views then detail views seems to be my only option.....

We'll have to agree to disagree... with the "only option" You can place a callout on other floor plans, and check the box on the tool bar to reference existing view. That was the intended workflow. Unless you have a unique design where every single floor in a high rise building is different, you would typically use one plan for multiple floors that are the same. I believe that is why they originally did not feel it was a problem to create a room only in plans, versus detail views.

Batman
2008-11-06, 08:27 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree... with the "only option" You can place a callout on other floor plans, and check the box on the tool bar to reference existing view. That was the intended workflow. Unless you have a unique design where every single floor in a high rise building is different, you would typically use one plan for multiple floors that are the same. I believe that is why they originally did not feel it was a problem to create a room only in plans, versus detail views.

The problem with referenced views is that I would have to recreate the callout bubble on every floor plan that i create. Since there is more than 10 floor plans for every level then it means a whole lot of work avoided by using detail callouts.

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-06, 09:17 PM
Select Referencing Callout, Copy to Clipboard, Paste > Aligned > Select Views by name...?

Batman
2008-11-06, 11:29 PM
Appreciate the work around, cheers.

For the record I'll keep with the detail callouts to minimise chances of error.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't the plan callouts have the same option as detail callouts to show up on intersecting views?