PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Name that part of the screen (Revit Interface)

NKramer
2008-11-07, 12:27 AM
We all have frustrations when it comes down to office deployment, training and support. For me the most basic one is telling people where you can find the command, interface, etc. While most people have been trained that D= "Option Bar" (see attached image) most people look any where but there when you them to look at the options bar.

Does anybody have any better ideas or naming conventions than the out of the box ones?

What do you call each portion of the screen along with a brief description of why (i.e. its the official Autodesk term; I learned it from XYZ when I got trained; Its what people remember in relation to the previous software we used; or just because I say so)

By the way thanks to SnagIt for the fun colors :)

Nick

davidcobi
2008-11-07, 12:34 AM
We printed out the graphic that comes in the Revit help and put it into our Revit Standards Manual. Probably best to use Autodesk Terminology, just include a graphic for reference whatever you decide to do.

Jshaver
2008-11-07, 12:50 PM
I also try to stick with Autodesk terminolgy.
The following is how I generally refer to the items.
A = Pulldown Menu
B = Toolbars
C = Options Bar Pulldown
D = Options Bar
E = Design Bar
F = Project Browser
G = View Window
H = View Settings

Typically I turn them all off anyway in hopes of becomming more efficient and it works for the most part as long as you do not attempt to render with the design bar off because Revit will crash. Also entering sketch modes with the Design Bar off can reak havok on the graphics of the icons.

Dwane Lindsey
2008-11-07, 10:12 PM
This is what I use when training folks...which comes directly from the books we use...

A = Menu Bar (Pulldown Menus)
B = Toolbars
C = Type Selector and Element Properties button
D = Options Bar
E = Design Bar
F = Project Browser
G = View Window
H = View Control Bar
Sub H = Status Bar (Don't forget this one!!)

Chances are if people are taking a course given by a reseller that is using either an Autodesk Course-ware book or an Ascent course-ware book, they are going to learn these areas by the names above. If they are getting taught by some other book, they may be different...I can't say as we've used both Autodesk and Ascent books.