PDA

View Full Version : Grappling with Graphic Overrides

crarchitect
2008-11-10, 05:30 AM
Any Graphic Override Gurus out there?

Does anyone know how to add a TRANSPARENT graphic override by using a Phase Filter, or Filter? Sounds easy, right? But It seems that the phase-filter-graphic-override-patterns are all opaque. We do not want to replace or obscure any component's material patterns, but rather to add a transparent hatch OVER them.

Confusing? Any ideas other then just adding a tranparent filled region? That's so Autocad. We tried Filter by worksets, too. Those override patterns are opaque also.

Just to be clear: we need to create multi-phase views displaying all building components normally 'By Category' but with the elements from one phase highlighted by a basic translucent hatch. Ex: a 45 degree transparent hatch over all elements from a earlier phase- but still showing the original object graphics By Category.

Thanks for taking a look. This one seems like a practical request? Am I missing something?

patricks
2008-11-10, 02:00 PM
You can't apply one hatch on top of another hatch in a material definition or a graphic override. Filled regions is the only way I know of to do what you're asking, if I think I got it. For example an existing brick wall you want to show with the brick pattern but also a transparent diagonal hatch on top of the brick pattern, right?

johnf.77896
2008-11-10, 06:45 PM
Maybe try an area plan. you can edit the patterns in them.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

crarchitect
2008-11-10, 07:03 PM
Yes, that is the request. Thank you for the reply. Your response is in line with my testing: no way to add a phase specific overlay on the appropriate components within a view...

I am asking the Factory.

Food for thought: Could I change the cut and surface patterns of any component, driven by that component's 'Phase Created' parameter? Do I need an API tool access the Phase parameter, and deliver it into an If Then statement to drive the material parameter settings? Sounds feasible.

What would Leonid do? (invoking Occam's Razor)

patricks
2008-11-10, 07:26 PM
Revit's Phasing graphic overrides can only apply to objects created in the current phase, created before the current phase (at any time before), created and demolished in the current phase (temporary), or demolished in the current phase (of any object created at any point prior to the current phase). You can't have a plan showing different overrides for objects created in multiple different phases.

You would think filters could work, but unfortunately you cannot use phases in your filter definitions.

crarchitect
2008-11-11, 12:06 AM
THIS MYTH IS BUSTED. Cannot be done with overrides.

I got the Factory response in one day! Not bad.

Thanks for looking.

patricks
2008-11-11, 01:56 PM
I think we had determined that already ;)