PDA

View Full Version : Brick veneer dilema

bvpe
2008-11-11, 07:33 PM
I have seen many wall types with brick veneer. Is there a way to allow the brick veneer layer to extend below the bottom of the wall? Say down 16" or so to where the block changes from 8" to 4". I have a 8" masonry wall with the top courses being 4" block. I have a wood framed wall with brick veneer sitting on top of the masonry wall. Or would it be more efficient to make the wood framed wall without brick veneer and add the brick veneer another way? I tried a sweep, but I can not figure out how to adjust the vertical height of the brick veneer.

Thanks,

BVPE

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-11, 11:53 PM
If you go to the properties of your wall, edit its structure and change the preview to show the wall in section, you can unlock the brick layer of the wall. Just select
Modify and try to find the top or bottom of the brick by pressing TAB. Once it is done, you will notice that when you select the wall in section, you can change the extension of the brick.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-12, 01:56 AM
Check out 'layer extension' and the modify tool in the help files for a good explanation of how to do what Andre suggests.
Keep in mind that this is an all or nothing type fix for each segment of wall so if you want to step the masony you'll need to split the wall and modify each wall as required.

bvpe
2008-11-12, 01:18 PM
Thank you for the tip. That was very helpful. Now, the light bulb is going off above my head. I have a profile for a sweep that is positioned at the top of the brick veneer. It is a "water table" element to cap the veneer. Can this sweep be "locked" to the top of the brick veneer so that when I "extend" the brick veneer layer of my wall, the sweep moves with it?

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-12, 03:11 PM
Thank you for the tip. That was very helpful. Now, the light bulb is going off above my head. I have a profile for a sweep that is positioned at the top of the brick veneer. It is a "water table" element to cap the veneer. Can this sweep be "locked" to the top of the brick veneer so that when I "extend" the brick veneer layer of my wall, the sweep moves with it?

Yes it can.

Andre Carvalho