PDA

View Full Version : [2009] - Non-Selectable Link (OPEN)

mjdanowski
2008-11-11, 07:50 PM
One thing that continues to aggravate me from a standpoint of day-to-day tasks is how a linked architectural model is selectable by clicking on most places within a project.

Many times I will try to make a right-direction selection box, only to realize there is nowhere to click first to make that box because you select the architectural link. It is really annoying.

What would be nice is to make the link "non-selectable" if you wanted to, so you cannot select it at all and can only interact with it if you are using a snap and/or modification tool.

The same thing goes for spaces. I want them to be there, however 95% of the time I dont want them to interfere with what I am doing.

mwiggins121466
2008-11-11, 09:49 PM
CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

mjdanowski
2008-11-11, 10:02 PM
Other annoying instances:

- Accidentally deleting the model when you accidentally select it when deleting things quickly. Takes about five minutes to delete and reload the 200,000 square foot building.

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-11, 11:21 PM
One thing that continues to aggravate me from a standpoint of day-to-day tasks is how a linked architectural model is selectable by clicking on most places within a project.

Many times I will try to make a right-direction selection box, only to realize there is nowhere to click first to make that box because you select the architectural link. It is really annoying.

What would be nice is to make the link "non-selectable" if you wanted to, so you cannot select it at all and can only interact with it if you are using a snap and/or modification tool.

The same thing goes for spaces. I want them to be there, however 95% of the time I dont want them to interfere with what I am doing.

Have you tried to uncheck the option "Press + Drag" in the options bar menu?

Andre Carvalho

mjdanowski
2008-11-12, 02:05 PM
Have you tried to uncheck the option "Press + Drag" in the options bar menu?

Andre Carvalho

You can still select it in many instances, though it does help a little bit.

sgermano
2008-12-10, 06:11 PM
Yes there should be a way to lock out the selecting of linked files. I have the same issue, and it drives you crazy after a while. Sometimes it will take me 7 or 8 tries to select the correct object.

schrodingerscat
2008-12-11, 12:13 AM
Technically you could click the filter button and uncheck "Rvt links" but that is SUCH a pain in the ***!

I'm finding it worst when I'm trying to select a hidden object to unhide it and so I have hidden objects shown, and so I have god knows how many things in the way of the one little object I want to unhide.

Liamnacuac
2009-01-06, 10:21 PM
I don't even like the way AutoCAD handles references you don't want to select. I would prefer that a background item stay a background item UNLESS I pick an item, I.E. I could select a command like "Select Linked Item" or "Select Referenced Item" for AutoCAD, and it would ONLY select linked or referenced items.
I don't want a setting one way or the other (either able to pick items or not), because then you may need to change settings in the middle of production for something that is used occasionally, but often enough that changing settings would be burdensome.

ran.154477
2009-01-08, 07:06 PM
Yes, it is a major pain that doesn't make any sense at all. Every linked file should default to be un-selectable. It should be a little harder to delete my link, than to delete a lowly model line. It should be simple matter "lock the layer" (so to speak). Could the linked file be pinned to your template?

mjdanowski
2009-02-13, 07:29 PM
Or even a little dialogue window that says "Are you sure you want to delete this link" so I don't have to wait five minutes when I accidentally do.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-02-13, 07:44 PM
As a workaround you can create a design option and place all your linked files in that option. If you leave the 'exclude design options' check box checked then the cursor will ignore it.

melindah
2009-11-17, 10:29 PM
I completely agree. This is one of the most consistantly asked questions of me in my office. It would be nice if by pinning an element, link or object, it would act like locking a layer in AutoCAD and not allow you to do anything with that element until you unpin it.

Jrobker
2009-12-01, 12:29 AM
As a workaround you can create a design option and place all your linked files in that option. If you leave the 'exclude design options' check box checked then the cursor will ignore it.

I do this and it works well...but.
Make sure your Grids are copy/monitored before you assign them to a design option.

moliva
2009-12-01, 03:01 PM
I do this and it works well...but.
Make sure your Grids are copy/monitored before you assign them to a design option.

i may try this...this is something that frustrates the hell out of me...

what issue do you have with the grids in this scenario?

Jrobker
2009-12-01, 04:46 PM
i may try this...this is something that frustrates the hell out of me...

what issue do you have with the grids in this scenario?

there are a couple issues with this, and it may be hard to explain.

If the grids are C/M post design option you have no control with them.

If the Arch adds new grids, you have to go into the design option to C/M them. After you have done this you have no independent control over those grids B/C it's in the non selectable option.
However you can control a group of them if they are aligned, only if you select the grid that is not associated with the design option.

You cannot copy a grid from a design option and take it out B/C it will lose it's link with the numbering/Lettering.

I am not quite sure how to do this:
If I need to start over with my design options I cannot delete the option B/C it will delete everything associated with it (background). I also cannot change the option in Element props.

If you do this make sure you know what your doing first.

I gues what I am really trying to say is, I support the request for non selectable links W/O going through this process.

timsea81
2009-12-15, 05:41 PM
I run in to a similar problem with raster images (2D drawings imported into the project to trace over), specifically finding it hard to select groups of objects and not the image as well... but I've found a work-around for it! hold down SHIFT when you begin to make your selection box, then let go before you select the rest.

moliva
2009-12-15, 08:51 PM
Nice!! that seems to work so far for me...might be a candidate for WOTY 2009!! only one week left before awards are presented, get your votes in now.