PDA

View Full Version : Applying a Jpeg to an element

cadman6735
2008-11-12, 08:19 PM
When applying a jpeg image as a material. As in making a picture in a picture frame or a computer monitor or TV set showing an image. What is the best practice some of you have come across?

I am finding it hard to get the image to not keep repeating.

I have come to the conclusion that the image size should match the element size exact in order for it to look right. But getting the image to match the size of the element I am applying it to, I find kind of tricky.

What are some steps that I could take to prepare an image for mapping onto an element so that it will work right without playing the guessing game.

Thanks

nole
2008-11-13, 08:32 AM
Hi there!
It is a matter of real world units and pixels, I think. You should find a way to translate pixels to real units and vice versa. Once You got needed dimension of the texture, You can start modifying it (texture).

cadman6735
2008-11-13, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply

I almost understand what you are telling me but without any experiance I may need more layman terms to help me thru.

From what I gather, If I size my image file in photo shop to the correct dimentions, as in length and height to match the element size length and hight will this work? and Pixils size? to real units? I am lost here.

I see some amazing renders in the gallery of RevitCity with pictures hanging on the wall and stuff. I want to accomplish the same thing, to add more realism and affect to my renders to wow our clients. Because we all know it is the wow factor that counts.

Thanks again

eric.piotrowicz
2008-11-13, 06:47 PM
You are on the right track with resizing the image in PS and the actual file size should match whatever you plan to apply it to in the model. If you wanted an 8"X10" portrait in your model you would need an image file which measures 8"X10" As far as pixels go they don't do anything to define the size of the image just the resolution. The issue becomes similar to trying to print digital pics. What looks ok on your monitor prints out either much smaller or much worse quality. To account for this I generally start with about 5MP images and resize them according to what they will be used for in the model. This can vary depending on your needs, if you have a shot that will have a large plasma screen in it you'll probably want to crank up the resolution (MPs) so it doesn't look chucnky inversely if you intend to just add some smaller photos sitting on an end table then lower resolutions may work fine. Also do a test rendering of each object right after you apply the jpeg so you know what its going to look like before running the final rendering and not getting what you expected. Its alot of trial and error but you start to get a feel for it the more you do.

cadman6735
2008-11-13, 07:27 PM
That's the ticket

I have pictures.

Thank you both

cadman6735
2008-11-13, 09:56 PM
A follow up question...

When applying Jpegs to an element is there a base point or something?

my first picture work like magic and seemed too easy my second image is the exact same size and everything just a different picture and it is off a bit, It cuts off the start and puts the cut off part at the end. If that make sense. Kind of like the image starts in the middle wraps around and then ends in the middle.

Any ideas?

Calvn_Swing
2008-11-14, 01:22 AM
Two things,

First, there is something called a Decal in Revit that might better suit your needs. Do a search in the Help file for it. You'll get this:

"In a Revit Architecture project, open a 2D view or a 3D orthographic view.
The view must contain a flat or cylindrical surface on which you can place decals. You cannot place decals in 3D perspective views.

Click Modelling menuDecal, or on the Modelling tab of the Design Bar, click Decal.
If no decals exist in the current project, the Decal Types dialog displays, and you need to create a decal type. See Creating a Decal Type.

In the Type Selector, select the type of decal to place in the view.
If you want to change the physical size of the decal, on the Options Bar, enter values for Width and Height. To maintain the aspect ratio between these dimensions, select Lock Proportions.
In the drawing area, click a flat surface (such as a wall face or roof face) or a cylindrical surface on which to place the decal.
The decal displays as a placeholder (a clear box with 2 lines through it) in all non-rendered views, as shown. The detailed decal image is visible only in rendered images.

After placing a decal, you can continue placing more decals of the same type. To place a different decal, select the desired decal in the Type Selector, and then click the desired location on the building model.
To exit the Decal tool, click ESC twice.
3D view showing placeholders for decals"

If you want to create a material to do this, then you should probably attempt to include a surface pattern (like a ceiling tile grid) that is the correct size. There is a button in the material editor that allows you to line up your rendering material with your surface pattern. You can then line those up, and if an image is misaligned on an object you can switch back to hidden line and you'll see the lines defining the edge of the image. Use the align tool to align them to the edges of the picture frame or tv, and Viola!

Good luck!