PDA

View Full Version : Column finish material

bob.86982
2008-11-12, 10:58 PM
I created a family for a tapered column pedestal and I'm trying to show a stone veneer finish on it. I can neither paint the finish on nor specify a finish property and have it display the stone veneer.

Bob

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-12, 11:02 PM
Have you assigned a material to the column in the family or created a material parameter for the family?

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2008-11-13, 03:40 PM
I created a material parameter in the family but the material choices there are very limited. In the project when I list the properties of the object and change the parameter from default to river rock it does not change in the drawing.

Bob

cliff collins
2008-11-13, 03:45 PM
1. Make sure the exact same material is in both the family and the project.
2. See if there is a fill pattern applied to the material's surface pattern (for shaded mode views)
3. try rendering a draft of the view--see if stone material 9or something else) shows up.
4. Make sure you did not paint a material over the stone--go back into the family and paint it using "by category" material.

cheers....

bob.86982
2008-11-13, 04:46 PM
I tried all 4 of your suggestions.

1. The material choices in the family are limited to defaults, phases, poche, and glass. All of the materials listed in the project anre not available in the family.

2. There are no fill patterns showing in shaded mode.

3. Rendering does not show the desired material.

4. I painted with "by category" in the family.

Still can not show the desired material in the family or the project.

bob.86982
2008-11-13, 07:27 PM
I finally figured out I can create new materials in the family. It's not very intuitive, you have to right click on a material in the dialog, click duplicate, then rename it and set the pattern and color, then you have to paint the surfaces in the family with that material and load it into the project, then set the material property in the project. Very confusing, maybe next time it will be easier if I write it down.

Thanks Andre and Cliff.

Bob

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-13, 08:21 PM
If you want to be able to apply any material from within the project, without having to recreate it in the family editor, you need to assign the material parameter inside the family.
If you have already created the material parameter in the family editor, select the column object, click on the properties button, select the little box on the right side of the material parameter and the parameter dialogue box will appear. Select your material parameter and back out of the dialogue box.
Load the family back into your project and you should be able to assign any material loaded into your project file.

bob.86982
2008-11-13, 08:52 PM
Dimitri,

Thank you, that was a very good easy to understand explanation. That makes it much easier than what I was doing.

Bob

cliff collins
2008-11-13, 10:41 PM
And there was much rejoicing...

Amen!

cheers.....

mostafa90
2010-03-20, 02:08 PM
well i have a question in the same point... but it may differ a little bit... as i want to add plaster to columns, in which it will join with the plaster of the walls like the pic i posted i wanted the gray plaster revolve around the column and the wall brick got stick to the column...

i have modeled the plaster in the structure column family... but it didn't work ,
cause also i need it to calculated in the schedule, and material takeoff.

any suggestions?

arqt49
2010-03-22, 02:50 PM
I also can't get consistent values in the material takeoff schedule with the columns category.
I have been testing a few scenarios and still couldn't find the logic of the area and volume in the columns.

wmullett
2010-03-22, 03:03 PM
I would think you would do this as a thin wall wrapped around the column if you have to have it in your take-offs.

mostafa90
2010-04-29, 11:41 AM
well guys i guess i have found the answer... 1st you add architecture column
then add the structure column... ad it will all be done :)