PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Objects

lonewolfjustin
2008-11-12, 11:04 PM
Currently if you want to hide something in a view you can either hide it by category or hide it by individual elements. It would be nice if you could hide things by type as well. For example, if I have recepticals, data/com, switches, etc all on Electrical Devices as a category. But I want to hide the data/com without hiding everything else. If I go to Visablity Graphics and hide Electrical Devices then I will hide them all. But I don't want to hide them all individually as elements. It would be nice if I could hide them by type so that it would be easy to turn them on and off. I don't know if I made any since, but its what I would like to see in the next version.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-13, 12:37 AM
If you right click on one of the objects and 'Select All Instances' you are essentailly going to select all instances of that 'type'. Once selected you can right click again to hide by element.

tomnewsom
2008-11-13, 11:31 AM
Use view Filters for this

lonewolfjustin
2008-11-13, 01:42 PM
If you right click on one of the objects and 'Select All Instances' you are essentailly going to select all instances of that 'type'. Once selected you can right click again to hide by element.

I understand there is a way to get around it...but it would be nice to have more control instead of just Category and Element.

What about when you want to hide things on the linked arch file, you have to do it element by element because if you want to hide walls you have to either hide all the walls or go through and select each wall you want to hide and hide element.

aaronrumple
2008-11-13, 02:16 PM
...if you want to hide walls you have to either hide all the walls or go through and select each wall you want to hide and hide element.

As noted above - this is exactly what filters were designed for.....

lonewolfjustin
2008-11-13, 02:19 PM
I will look into them...but don't yall agree to have a right click hide type added would be easier?

aaronrumple
2008-11-13, 03:15 PM
I will look into them...but don't yall agree to have a right click hide type added would be easier?

Yes and no.

Then you would need a coresponding tab in the visibility graphics dialog to manage yet more view settings. And the list would be quite long and keep changing. Then you would have to have some way of integrating these settings with view templates - which would really get hosed as types move in and out of a project. Then you have to think about instanced parameters embeded in types, which gives you infinite options. So the UI of this goes just beyoned right click - hide type.

Filters were designed to give users fine control over visibility defined based on your rules - without creating a lot of overhead in the program for a feature which gets occasional use. And they integrate well with CAD standards management. (Hide by element doesn't....)

lonewolfjustin
2008-11-13, 03:24 PM
Cool thanks for the input. Looks like I need to do some studying on view filters.

lonewolfjustin
2008-11-13, 07:53 PM
Okay heres a related question. Can you add view filters to the architects linked in file?

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-13, 09:50 PM
Okay heres a related question. Can you add view filters to the architects linked in file?

Sorry for bringing you bad news, but you can't apply a filter for a linked model...

Andre Carvalho