PDA

View Full Version : Revit 7 preview - more tease please

k.armstrong
2004-10-05, 01:30 PM
Can you give us a sneak at any enhancements to site tools and colour presentation (ie in site plan form etc)
Thanks Ken

J. Grouchy
2004-10-05, 01:58 PM
Aw heck...just post ALL the details of the new release. You know you want to. :)

Scott D Davis
2004-10-05, 03:46 PM
C'mon...try it! Everyone's doing it......

David Conant
2004-10-05, 05:14 PM
Just a taste, remember that too many snacks will spoil your appetite for dinner.

Site Regions
Associative way to sub-divide topographic surface, no splitting required
Sketch defined area on toposurface can be modified without rejoining and splitting
Appear in toposurface schedules.
Support their own material property

aaronrumple
2004-10-05, 05:21 PM
Burp.......

barathd
2004-10-05, 05:54 PM
David:

I am not anxious to ruin my appetite but could you just please comment as to what we may or may not see in the area of "structural" tools. Are we going to have to wait further to see the anticipated tools or are we going to see them in this release?

Thank you.

Dick Barath

aggockel50321
2004-10-05, 06:12 PM
Release date.

Is it as expected around AU, or possibly before?

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-05, 06:16 PM
Dunno about structural goodies, but as for release date, we have been told in the reseller channel that 25 October is the release to web date. That means you'll be able to download it well before AU.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-10-05, 06:19 PM
I want it. And I want it NOW!!!! <spoiled brat mode off>

This is looking like a major upgrade and I am willing to wait for all these cool new tools (but not toooo long). The only tricky part will be holding clients off by saying things like "I'll get to that but I'm going to wait until the next releaseof my software becasue it'll be so much easier then"
Glad to see that you folks have been listening. I can hardly wait.
Thanks

J. Grouchy
2004-10-05, 06:57 PM
wicked awesome.

Well...actually I just love saying that...but this looks like a good feature that I can already regret not having had in the past 9 months (since we switched to Revit).

If it is indeed a major upgrade as it appears to be...and I hate to be devil's advocate...but what is Revit's track record on 'bugginess' in major releases?

BillyGrey
2004-10-05, 07:13 PM
I need a cold shower

aggockel50321
2004-10-05, 07:13 PM
If it is indeed a major upgrade as it appears to be...and I hate to be devil's advocate...but what is Revit's track record on 'bugginess' in major releases?
Not bad. Once found, they admit to them & fix them, usually in a few weeks.

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-05, 07:14 PM
...but what is Revit's track record on 'bugginess' in major releases...Extremely good in my experience.

ajayholland
2004-10-05, 07:14 PM
...but what is Revit's track record on 'bugginess' in major releases?

I don't remember any major flaws in any release. I seem to recall a suggestion that the developers use some automated methods to churn the software to uncover possible deficiencies. I've never been afraid to plow straight ahead with each new release.

~AJH

barathd
2004-10-05, 07:15 PM
Wes:

Will Revit Series 2 users have access to the internet download at the same time as Revit standalone users? Read some where ??? that Revit Series 2 users should not expect to receive updates as soon as standalone users. Is this true?

Thanks

Dick Barath

gregcashen
2004-10-05, 07:20 PM
Revit Series is a separate product and does not usually get released the same date as Revit. That said, since it is a separate product, I think you can download the 60-day trial and use that until the Revit Series version comes out...??

barathd
2004-10-05, 07:29 PM
Greg:

I follow what your saying. However my question is - will the internet download (pre-release) on or about Oct. 25 be available to Revit Series 2 subscribers?

Thank you.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-05, 08:03 PM
Greg:

I follow what your saying. However my question is - will the internet download (pre-release) on or about Oct. 25 be available to Revit Series 2 subscribers?

Thank you.
It should be. But if not, like Greg mentioned, the 60 day trial should work fine. However, as an FYI, I have authorized and non-ARS version of Revit using an ARS contract number and it worked fine. I really have no idea why the are packaged differently??? Perhaps someone at autodesk could enlighten us.

Typically the ARS package would not receive a new version number (3.0) until Acad updates to 2006. I don't think they will make ARS customers wait that long to get Revit 7.0

barathd
2004-10-05, 08:17 PM
Chris:

You got my point - be a hell of a deal if one had to wait until ARS 3 came out in May ??? or whatever. Would be nice to have someone from Autodesk or Revit lay this to rest.

Regards

Dick Barath

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-05, 08:23 PM
Just a taste, remember that too many snacks will spoil your appetite for dinner.My compliments to the chef David!

gregcashen
2004-10-05, 08:24 PM
Greg:

Thank you.

Yes. It will be available to subscribers, non-subscribers...anyone with access to the internet. However, as I stated, Revit Series 2 is a separate product from Revit 7. So the Revit Series 2 Revit Web Download will likely not be available to download until sometime after Revit 7 is available. You can probably download the Revit 7 60-day trial and use that until the Revit Series 2 download is available.

Cathy Hadley
2004-10-05, 08:44 PM
The notes to the Resellers say both Revit 7 & ARS 7 (guess they are going to make the name change?) will be released to web on or about 10/25...

CZH

barathd
2004-10-05, 09:20 PM
Cathy:

Thank you.

Prodev75
2004-10-05, 11:09 PM
This reminds me to a commercial I once saw where a retail store was having a sale and there were hundreds of customers banging at the door waiting to get their hands on the merchandise (the goodies).

Or

Camping outside the a stadium for playoff tickets.

Chad Smith
2004-10-05, 11:44 PM
So David, does this mean that when a spot level near where 2 sub-divisions are, is moved, the actual contour line will update and flow seamlessly between the 2 sub-divisions?

It's good to see the site tools have/are being worked on, even if it is just small improvements. I still would like to see solids used (surfaces are old and outdated), but I'm sure you've seen my suggestions on the wishlist forum. Poor site/topo tools are still at the very top of my 'things-I-hate' list.

SkiSouth
2004-10-06, 12:02 AM
, Revit Series 2 is a separate product from Revit 7. .

Whats so different ? - the subscription costs the same after you purchase it, and it cost me a full ADT License - why should I have to wait? But even so- I'll down load the 60 day if that's what it takes.

beegee
2004-10-06, 12:17 AM
This reminds me to a commercial I once saw where a retail store was having a sale and there were hundreds of customers banging at the door waiting to get their hands on the merchandise (the goodies).

Or

Camping outside the a stadium for playoff tickets.
And there just aren't many products out there that generate that sort of excitement, ( not to mention that there are even less in the software market ).

The whole Revit team deserves applause ! ( have one on my guys ... :beer: )

narlee
2004-10-06, 01:02 AM
Hoping that the topo tools will included depth controls. That would really be so useful, and in ways BEYOND "site" items.

Geof Narlee.

Chad Smith
2004-10-06, 01:17 AM
Hoping that the topo tools will included depth controls. That would really be so useful, and in ways BEYOND "site" items.
I hope so too. Being able to define an external slab or carpark kerbing and then cut a section through it would be sweet. Bring on solids (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2530&highlight=topo).

gregcashen
2004-10-06, 02:09 AM
Whats so different ? - the subscription costs the same after you purchase it, and it cost me a full ADT License - why should I have to wait? But even so- I'll down load the 60 day if that's what it takes.

I understand that the release cycle for Revit series may have changed with the latest release. I wouldn't really know anymore, as I have weaned myself entirely of autocad and am now only using Revit. Before, the series had to be rebundled to include the extra hooks into autocad which kept it from being able to be separated from revit (remember autocad and revit can only be run on the same computer under revit series licensing). Now I think they may release them concurrently (at least according to Cathy Hadley who works for a reseller)! Thanks to Cathy for the update!!

Arnel Aguel
2004-10-06, 04:43 AM
It looks that the parking island object now follow exactly the profile of the host terrain and not just horizontal.

Can anybody show us some teaser for the structural tools.

You guys have done a great job.

Regards

Chad Smith
2004-10-06, 06:27 AM
The terrain looks a bit smoother too. Maybe there are complex terrain modeling techniques involved, like the complex geometry teasers in other threads.

narlee
2004-10-06, 12:48 PM
Greg,

I recently bought into the "series" in order to get VIZ at a disount and adding ACAD was just a few bucks more and still handy to have. But I had a concern about "hooks" and Revit versions release timings being affected for a "series" version. Both the reseller and a Revit CSA told me it was strictly a licensing thing and I could get Revit updates just like before. I'll be testing this on the 25th.

Geof.

Prodev75
2004-10-06, 01:27 PM
I'm hearing topo alot. Does this somehow relate to the Roads category that just sits in the visibility/graphics dialog box and does nothing.

In in the years I've been using Revit that category keeps me wondering what's next

J. Grouchy
2004-10-06, 01:35 PM
...the Roads category that just sits in the visibility/graphics dialog box and does nothing.

Funny...I never noticed...or at least didn't think about it if I did. Interesting....

SkiSouth
2004-10-06, 01:50 PM
Roads category that just sits ...and does nothing.

To paraphrase Tigger "That's what Roads do Best....." :razz:

This release should prove interesting...

gregcashen
2004-10-06, 02:11 PM
Greg,

I recently bought into the "series" in order to get VIZ at a disount and adding ACAD was just a few bucks more and still handy to have. But I had a concern about "hooks" and Revit versions release timings being affected for a "series" version. Both the reseller and a Revit CSA told me it was strictly a licensing thing and I could get Revit updates just like before. I'll be testing this on the 25th.

Geof.

As I said, maybe things have changed, but if you look at the download page on autodesks site right now, there are separate downloads for Revit and Revit for Revit Series. In every prior release that I am aware of, they were not released at the same time. If the reseller was clueing you in to the fact that this had changed, no problem...I guess we'll see soon enough ;)