PDA

View Full Version : embedded wall curtain wall - outside corner

3dway
2008-11-17, 08:01 PM
I'm having a problem where I need a curtain wall to form and outside corner while embedded in a wall. I use the curtain wall, wall type. I check-mark "chain" but the two walls don't chain or filet at the corner. I end up with two separate curtain walls. This becomes a problem because they don't cut the wall geometry at the corner unless they overrun each other and then I can't place a corner mullion.

Please help. Yet another day of looking like an idiot in front of the boss because I don't know how to use the software..... three days of training. harumph.

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-17, 08:25 PM
FWIW, they will aways be "two curtain walls" at that condition.

In those situations, i i use a corner mullion at the ends of one of the CW's, and no mullion on the other, with them set to disallow Join. Then, you can use the Cut Geometry to make sure theyre both cutting both walls, if youre having joinery issues...

cliff collins
2008-11-17, 09:06 PM
Another trick is to create an Opening in the wall, and then "set" the curtainwall inside the opening. This keeps it from "grabbing" and "attaching" itself to the wall is is "embedded" into. It lets you control both the curtainwall and normal wall independently.

Also, I agree w/ twiceroadsfool about the corner mullion trick.

cheers....

patricks
2008-11-17, 09:26 PM
FWIW, they will aways be "two curtain walls" at that condition.

In those situations, i i use a corner mullion at the ends of one of the CW's, and no mullion on the other, with them set to disallow Join. Then, you can use the Cut Geometry to make sure theyre both cutting both walls, if youre having joinery issues...

This has never worked, ever since I started using Revit on 6.1. There is always a square piece of the main wall remaining at the corner when you try to automatically embed the curtain walls into the main walls.

I tried placing 2 curtain walls inside main walls, disallowing joins at the ends of both curtain walls, pulling each curtain wall to the corner, and there was still a piece of the main wall left in the corner. Both curtain walls were already cutting both main walls, as it would not let me join either curtain wall to anything else. Maybe I wasn't doing it exactly the way you're describing.

Another trick is to create an Opening in the wall, and then "set" the curtainwall inside the opening. This keeps it from "grabbing" and "attaching" itself to the wall is is "embedded" into. It lets you control both the curtainwall and normal wall independently.

The wall opening tool works, probably better than editing the main wall's profile (which I am always hesitant to do).

But still, it would be nice for embedded curtain walls to join properly at corners automatically. It would be one less thing to have to keep up with.

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-17, 09:40 PM
Hmm, well it works fine for me here. I even verified that the walls above the Storefront have their bases set to the BOTTOM of the storefronts (IE theyre not just *sitting* up that high*. But if you look at the silhouette of my walls, theyre also butted to each other, and not mitered. That might be why they work for me...

3dway
2008-11-17, 10:19 PM
I read one post that said to make a custom panel for the end of one with a space at the side so the curtian wall end goes all the way to the face of the wall, but the panel starts in a bit.

My problem with this is, at a design stage, I don't want to make a custom end panel for a wall that I don't know the wall type yet. We're designing with a generic wall at this point. The position of the curtain wall, within the wall thickness could shift and the wall thickness could change. It would be a waste to make a custom end panel.

I discovered this whole thing when I was doing our first "over the shoulder" design session with the architect. I end up looking like a boob because I can't use the software. I'm going to post a topic about the paradox - I need more training to find out if I can use the software which might not be worth paying for training on.

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-18, 01:22 PM
LOL, i would recommend a LOT of training before id let someone rope you in to the "Over the shoulder" back seat modeler antics...

Unless they ALSO like reading AUGI. :)

cliff collins
2008-11-18, 02:05 PM
I spent the last 8 years doing the "over the shoulder modeling" bit--and was responsible for bringing Revit into our office, convincing the Owner and staff that it is the right solution. And yes, learning on the fly can be a bit embarrassing and frustrating at times.

However, what I would do in these situations is move on to another part of the design/model--and tell the "over-the-shoulder" guy that we will work on solving the problem ( like your curtainwall issue ) . There was never once when we were stumped--we always found a solution!

One such solution was exactly the situation you have--which is where I got the idea to cut and opening, using the modeling tool "opening in wall"--and then insert the curtainwall into the "opened" place in the "host wall"--you will find this gives you a lot more flexibility with both the curtainwall and the wall itself--as they are not "fighting" each other.

The only downside is that Openings can be a bit cumbersome when trying to edit them, and adjust them to very specific dimensions, etc.

But the key here is to "keep the faith" and keep moving forward. It will take a lot of extra effort, and perhaps some extra-curricular time to search for solutions--like you are doing
by looking here at AUGI forums.

Keep up the good work--and remember you are not the only one going through these challenges.

Cheers....