PDA

View Full Version : odd shaped crop regions

thomasf
2008-11-18, 10:59 PM
is it possible to create a crop region that is a shape other than a rectangle? In AutoCAD you can make a circle or an L shaped polyline a viewport; is that possible in Revit?

davidcobi
2008-11-18, 11:06 PM
Not possible yet. As a workaround you can use a masking region to crop out what you don't want to see in a view.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-18, 11:14 PM
A rectangle, a square, a parallelogram or a rhombus... by any name it is the same :cry: (shape that is...)

At present this is not possible. Various workarounds are to create masking regions in views to create the desired shape or use a legend view with a masking region.

We tend to forget that it took Autodesk some 17 years to implement non-rectangular viewports (only 9 years after model space/paper space was established) Not suggesting it will take the factory that long to implement them in Revit

BSmith.216610
2009-08-07, 09:14 PM
I understand that I can't have a non-rectangular crop region, but I'm stuck. Right now I have a Level 1 floor plan with 5 dependent views of the areas that fit on each sheet. Area C is not rectangular. It appears that if I use a masking region to cover part of it, then the region will also be visible in Area D since they are both dependent on the same view. Is this true?

I find the "Hiding Parts of a View on a Sheet" in Revit help to not help very much.

Thanks.

iankids
2009-08-07, 09:23 PM
I find that you can use the masking region option as suggested by Dimitri & ddurate and hide the element in the views in which it is not needed. Not very Revit, but works.

Ian

dbaldacchino
2009-08-08, 04:08 AM
I used to freak out at not having the possibililty to mask out irregular parts of plans. But I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle. Just use a true matchline. To make it even more clear, hide door and room tags of elements that fall outside your area as defined by the matchline to make it clear what belongs to that particular area on the sheet (believe it or not, some contractors still do counts based on tags on sheets!). Think of it this way too...your sheet is still a rectangle ;)