PDA

View Full Version : 2D family with line styles

sami
2008-11-18, 11:51 PM
I’m trying to create 2D component (family) with different line styles (ie dashed, grey, etc..)
But it seems I can’t control the line style from the family it is predetermined based on what kind of family this is.

As an example I am creating 2D car symbols, one will be solid line for regular cars and one will be dashed and in gray for temporary parking. I can’t seem to control that since I only have three options for line style (hidden, parking & invisible) I can’t seem to define or use any one of the many other line styles I have.

dhurtubise
2008-11-19, 01:05 AM
Under Object Styles un the family you will have the ability to create more styles

sami
2008-11-19, 10:20 PM
perfect! thanks.

sami
2008-11-19, 10:48 PM
one more thing, it doesnt seem possible to add 2D text that shows up in the object when placed in a project.

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-19, 11:41 PM
one more thing, it doesnt seem possible to add 2D text that shows up in the object when placed in a project.

Create a generic annotation family and type your text there. Then nest the annotation family into the main family.

Andre Carvalho

dhurtubise
2008-11-20, 05:41 PM

I suggest you look into tag more then text. Are you trying to display information from the family?

sami
2008-11-20, 08:43 PM
in my particular case I was building parking space family, each size has text on it describing the size (ie 2.6x5.6m. & 2.9x5.6m. etc..)
I guess tag or puting family text would both work for my needs, thanks again for everyone's help!

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-20, 09:04 PM
The tag makes more sense, as you can get it to read live parameters in the Family. If you use text, and the family is parametric, when someone hits edit/new and makes a different sized parking space (ADA) it wont automatically change.

You can make a parking space tag that reads the dimensional parameters, and then use Tag all not tagged to tag them quickly, and attain the same result and have it remain intelligent, as Daniel suggested.

dhurtubise
2008-11-20, 11:50 PM
I would use tag just for the sake of being able to turn them on or off automatically a lot more easily then using text

sami
2008-11-21, 03:54 PM
my parking space object has two instance parameters under "other" named "width" and "length"
how do I create a tag that reads these two parameters?

in the tag file I am creating when I add a label it asks me to select parameter but ofcourse width and length are not there since they are custom to my parking space family.

if I click Add I have the option to select shared parameters, is that where I should be doing this?

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-21, 04:04 PM
Yes, to tag and/or schedule them, they will have to be Shared parameters...