PDA

View Full Version : Slow Modeling

rudolfweyers346383
2008-11-19, 09:41 AM
Why after working on a project for a while, modelling up and modifying any of the object takes a very long time?

The project I'm working on is very big and complex, the revit file is about 130MB already. I've purged all unused families also, still it takes a long time to get anything done.

The computer I'm using is a Intel core 2 quad 2.5 ghz, 4GB ram, 512MB video card.

brenehan
2008-11-19, 10:43 AM
Hi rudolf_weyers

Have you started to use worksets yet to switch off parts of the building you are not working in?
Have you got all non-relevant categories in each view turned off to speed up the view regeneration?
Have you been manually over-riding the graphics in views. Over doing this will slow down the regeneration in views.
Insure the view depth of your views is set to a minimum. Large view depths, means in the regeneration it needs to analyse the entire model.
Read the Autodesk white paper on Model performance. Over modelling projects will slow performance.
Use section boxes in 3d views to only view the section of the model you are working in.

rudolfweyers346383
2008-11-19, 11:15 AM
I've tried everything you mentioned, didn't help much. I have found doing a interference check and clearing them out helps alot.

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-19, 01:29 PM
Also, make sure you are not over modeling your project. Do not add unecessary parameters to your families and do not create unecessary constraints in your project.

Andre Carvalho

Gadget Man
2008-11-20, 07:04 AM
Also, make sure you are not over modeling your project...

Funny you mention that... Recently there was a SERIOUS conference in Brisbane (OZ) about a future of BIM and building documentation, etc. I wasn't there, so I am just relaying someone's comments.

Apparently the big conclusion there was to... MODEL EVERYTHING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and to make habit of using detail lines and 2-D families as the last resort. The reason given being that in the near rather than far future what builders will be given on site to work from is a laptop with the Revit model on it.

And that they will be taking all the measurements from your model. They would be analysing all the fine details stright from a 3-D model too - everything in lieu of a paper documentation...

Also, if you model everything precisely, it is much easier to spot any potential problems on your computer, rather than on site. Much cheaper way to fix the problems...

So, to prepare the new emerging workforce of future draftspeople it should be taught at schools to model EVERYTHING.

I tend to agree with this view, however there is a question of the ability of your average Bob the Builder to use such a model - including his or her laptop's performance...

brenehan
2008-11-20, 10:54 AM
Hi rudolf_weyers

The next big item that may slow down our model is the project warnings. Have a look at your review warnings. Keep them down to a reasonable amount within the project file.

armbarsalot
2008-11-20, 03:00 PM
Funny you mention that... Recently there was a SERIOUS conference in Brisbane (OZ) about a future of BIM and building documentation, etc. I wasn't there, so I am just relaying someone's comments.

Apparently the big conclusion there was to... MODEL EVERYTHING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and to make habit of using detail lines and 2-D families as the last resort. The reason given being that in the near rather than far future what builders will be given on site to work from is a laptop with the Revit model on it.

And that they will be taking all the measurements from your model. They would be analysing all the fine details stright from a 3-D model too - everything in lieu of a paper documentation...

Also, if you model everything precisely, it is much easier to spot any potential problems on your computer, rather than on site. Much cheaper way to fix the problems...

So, to prepare the new emerging workforce of future draftspeople it should be taught at schools to model EVERYTHING.

I tend to agree with this view, however there is a question of the ability of your average Bob the Builder to use such a model - including his or her laptop's performance...

Spot on brother

there is no 'bim' unless you draw it all, anything else is just phony.

azmz3
2008-11-20, 03:30 PM
I understand the model everything idea, and like where that is headed, but nowm in this time, the architects and structural engineers have the capability to model everything, but I think Revit MEP is still lagging, and the construction companies dont have the know-how to sue the mdoels the way you are speaking of. sure, some companies have in house drafters, but not all do that, so we are still a ways off from being a truely BIM industry where we model everything, and hand it over. still, the municipalities we submit drawings will still require drawings submitted on paper, it doesnt matter to them how they are done.

Henry D
2008-11-21, 11:42 AM
The reason given being that in the near rather than far future what builders will be given on site to work from is a laptop with the Revit model on it.

Funny you should mention this... this is what I am doing now on a project that's being built. The builder has a computer with the Revit file in the construction trailer.

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-21, 02:35 PM

Jerry,

By over modeling I meant unnecessary modeling. For instance, not modeling a hollow curtain wall mullion, with all the small details, if you can have it modeled as a simple profile that follow the shape of the mullion and have an accurate 2D detail component set to show that same mullion when cut. Or not modeling the siding if you don't need it to show very close in a rendering view and instead just use model pattern that will do the job...

At least until the day our computers will be able to handle that amount of modeling, I prefer to find solutions like that... Modeling, but not over modeling.

Andre Carvalho

tamas
2008-11-21, 02:50 PM
Rudolf,

Please read these threads: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=72758
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=83457
They have a lot of great suggestions, one of which is contacting Revit support.

Hope you'll find a way to speed up your model.

Tamas

cdatechguy
2008-11-21, 04:06 PM
Something else that can speed up your modeling is to check your review warnings (Tools Menu)

A lot of these can cause problems....

psteel
2008-11-21, 05:47 PM
When was the last time you audited /compacted / purged the file.

Also turn off shadows in ALL views. Also if views / sections / elevations
are NOT named, delete them, harsh I know but each and everyone of those
views update when you change anything.

We as a norm "compact" and purge the file weekly. Normally
we see a decrease in file size of 40-50%.

Hope this helps