PDA

View Full Version : Curved ceiling?

AUGI Strangelove
2008-11-19, 03:59 PM
Any tips for creating such a beast? I'm trying to make a curved shape that looks like a football in plan, but curves upward from the middle to the ends....

Steve_Stafford
2008-11-19, 04:15 PM
Have a look at this CAD Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEzSvgY1Xkk) on youtube.

kpaxton
2008-11-19, 04:15 PM
This might depend on how you want to see the final geometry, but this will definitely have to be done in multiple steps - First, create your Ceiling footprint (using Sketch mode), then Second, you'll need to 'carve out' the curve with either a Void shape or an Opening cut. This depends on which way you're going to make the cut- vertical or perpendicular to the ceiling.

(Or create a Ceiling by Face after creating a Mass object) as Steve says... ;)

HTH,
Kyle

AUGI Strangelove
2008-11-19, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the help; I'll give it a shot.

AUGI Strangelove
2008-12-05, 05:10 PM
OK- I've gotten around to making this shape, and the youtube clip was a great help. Very cool. However, the mass that I've created is transparent, ie, it doesn't hide stuff behind it. How to remedy? Does the "ceiling from mass" command existing in R2008?

Steve_Stafford
2008-12-08, 06:56 AM
You need to "adapt" the technique to an In-Place Family using Modelling > Create > choose the Ceiling category. Do all the same work but using the ceiling category. Now that you've done it once you'll be twice as fast?!? :wink:

AUGI Strangelove
2008-12-08, 04:09 PM
One would hope that I can crank it out now. Thanks for the tip......