PDA

View Full Version : Import a Vectorworks model into Revit?

mzabritski
2008-11-19, 06:07 PM
We are working with another firm who is using Vectorworks and trying to get their model linked into ours. The only real solution I see is to have them export out an IFC file and then we import that IFC file into Revit. After a few tries, we finally got an IFC file from them that actually imports, but the results leave a lot to be desired. The resulting model gives us some basic walls with lots of missing openings and misaligned / malformed windows.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this? Starting to think that maybe just linking in a DWG file from them might be the way to go.

Joef
2008-11-19, 08:00 PM
I confess I haven't done this but I would try a DWG file. Vectorworks makes pretty good dwg files (if you can get rid of the solid fills). You may find yourself with a lot of 2d garbage as VW can never decide whether it wants to be 2d or 3d so it maintains both elements.

ariel162892
2008-11-20, 02:07 PM
I confess I haven't done this but I would try a DWG file. Vectorworks makes pretty good dwg files (if you can get rid of the solid fills). You may find yourself with a lot of 2d garbage as VW can never decide whether it wants to be 2d or 3d so it maintains both elements.

Actually, VW has no problem exporting 3d only elements while ignoring the 2d ones.

You can probably use the IFC route if it's just a one time thing. Just replace the walls, doors and windows with what you use in revit and you should be good to go.