PDA

View Full Version : can't import/link DWG

baylorb
2008-11-20, 06:47 PM
We have multiple people working on a project. Everyone can import/link CAD files except me. I've tried making a new local and restarting Revit multiple times and still nothing. The file I am trying to import does not appear in the imported categories list so it is obvious that it is not making it into Revit. What is preventing me from importing/linking a file?

ajayholland
2008-11-21, 04:06 PM
Since you haven’t provided much information, this is just a wild guess: Are there more that eighty characters in the file name? I believe that's all that Revit can process.

~AJH

baylorb
2008-11-24, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. No, there is nowhere close to 80 characters in the file name.

I will try to be a little more descriptive. Basically, one day I could import/link CAD files, the next day I wasn't able to. I'm trying to import/link into a drafting view. I have tried a variety of setting combinations at the import/link dialog but none seem to work. When the function did work the settings are as follows:

Current view only
Colors: Black and White
Layers: Visible
Import Units: Auto-detect
Positioning: Manual - Center

When I click 'open' at the import/link dialog, the options bar flickers but displays nothing and nothing appears in the view. A quick check of the imported categories dialog does not list the file. The file is not "floating" in another view and I am not importing into a closed workset.

I have tried importing different CAD files with everything from 1 layer to 30 layers. I have tried importing from the server and from my own harddrive. Nothing works. In fact, the same files that I successfully imported a few days ago do not work today.

In most cases I am importing a file and exploding it or tracing over it. It is just very odd that I could import/link a few days ago and suddenly it stopped working. Does Revit put a max limit on number of import/links?

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-24, 11:18 PM
If you said others can import and you can't, then maybe you should try reinstalling Revit if you haven't tried that yet.

Andre Carvalho

baylorb
2008-12-05, 01:09 AM
the reinstall worked. thanks for your suggestions.