PDA

View Full Version : Closets & Room areas

DaveP
2008-11-24, 04:13 PM
We're getting more and more into space planning with Revit & an interesting issue came up today. When we have something like a storage alcove or a closet in a room - anything with a wall and a door - we want the closet to be part of the Room, but it's still got a Wall in between.

The only way I can think of to do this is to split the wall and make the portion between the wall and the closet not Room Bounding. That does the trick, but it's kind of putzy, and I'm wondering if there are any other consequences. Getting some funky Wall Join conditions might be one. Another problem I can foresee is that later on someone else may eliminate the closet and not realize that the wall wasn't Room Bounding.

I don't see any other way to accomplish this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into any problems.

Discuss amongst yourself...

jeffh
2008-11-24, 04:26 PM
Just to add food for thought on this issue. If you are going to do energy analysis somewhere down the road these kinds of spaces can be troublesome.

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/11/removing-slivers-spaces.html

I don't have any real great answers, just something else to think about.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-24, 09:52 PM
This is where I think area plans are most useful. Rarely do I require the area of individual spaces for anything other than calculating finishes quantities.
I'll use area plans for any area calculations. Boundaries are placed as requried and the overall unit area can be calculated wherever the code/client requires. Rooms are strcitly for net area or room finish scheduling purposes. This method also takes care of most of the issue mentioned by Jeff.
I know this won't work for eveyone's needs but in my experience it seesm to be the easiest and most flexible approach and doesn't involve a lot of additional work.

saeborne
2008-11-24, 09:58 PM
Just to add food for thought on this issue. If you are going to do energy analysis somewhere down the road these kinds of spaces can be troublesome.

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/11/removing-slivers-spaces.html

I don't have any real great answers, just something else to think about.

Not to hijack the thread... But doesn't energy analysis occur from the MEP's "Spaces" as opposed to the Architect's Room object?

jeffh
2008-11-25, 03:59 AM
Not to hijack the thread... But doesn't energy analysis occur from the MEP's "Spaces" as opposed to the Architect's Room object?

Room objects expot to gbXML to create an analitical model just as spaces from MEP do.