PDA

View Full Version : Curved stair case wall?

aliya14
2004-10-06, 06:18 AM
Hello,
This is a file i got from revit the wall below the staircase ios curved but it is in line with the staircase bottom.what is the method in doing this?
Regards
Aliya

Mr Spot
2004-10-06, 06:49 AM
The creater has used an in-place family (wall) and create a void via a blend, then used the cut geometry tool to force the void to cut the wall.

beegee
2004-10-06, 07:24 AM
It looks like the void blend was only used for the curved section of the stair and the wall profile was edited for the straight section.

aliya14
2004-10-06, 07:36 AM
Hello ,
I created the wall using inplace family solid sweep. to get the curved wall
but its too difficult getting the void blend on a curved wall could u please explain as to what work plane & what shape should i select to create the void..
Sorry i'm really confused.
regards,
Aliya

beegee
2004-10-06, 10:39 PM
Firstly, you can just draw a normal wall. You don’t need in-place walls for this, since they are straight and curved vertical walls.
Having placed the walls, you can edit the profile of the straight wall to match the stair.
Now place a series of temporary radial sketch line to define the geometry of the curved stairs in plan.
Next place a reference plane ( RP-Base )perpendicular to the stair radius and inboard of the stair curve.
Place an elevation tag parallel to this RP.
Place RPs at each intersection of (RP-Base ) with the radial lines. ( I find it helps to number these for later reference )
Now place (RP Top) at a set distance away ( say 2500 mm ) from (RP Base) and outboard of the curve.
Place RPs at each intersection of ( RP-Base ) with the radial lines. ( name them also if it helps.)
Now start to create the void blend. ( refer Help section if you’re unsure about this process. )
Set the work plan to RP Base, use the elevation you created in # 5. Sketch the bottom profile of the blend using the RPs from # 6 for the verticals and the stair treads to define the horizontal planes. Complete that profile.
Repeat that process for the Blend Top, using the second set of RP’s for the verticals in that case.
Finish the sketch, but before completing the family, .use “ Cut Geometry” to tell the void to cut the curved wall. Now finish the family.

If all this sounds complex, just have a look at the sample file, bit by bit and it should become clearer.

HTH.

Mr Spot
2004-10-06, 10:40 PM
Okay,

This is difficult to explain, but here goes.

If you look at the plan view, you can see to reference planes parallel to each other have been drawn in front and behind the stairs. Then the lines have been used to extend where the treads would meet the reference planes. Now create a section parallel to the front reference plane. Now its time to start the family (in-place wall void). Begin in plan by drawing reference planes perpendicular to the two reference planes where each of the treads cross the planes (back and front). I often name the reference planes according to there position to make it easier to see which is which in the section. After you have done this set the back reference plane as the work plane and go to the section you created (it should be parallel to the view). You will notice all those reference planes you drew should show in the section. Begin drawing the back profile by matching the risers with back reference planes, stepping up the appropriate amounts to match your stair rises. Then do this for the front and finish the sketch. Go to the plan view and drag the end points to the reference plane.

It should all be cutting in the appropriate position now. Just use the cut geometry tool to tell the void to cut the other wall.

Hope this helps. Its very hard to explain, I used to use a similar method for creating freeform curved ramps, before revit 6.1.

Cheers.

EDIT: I see BG beat me again. Now you have two explanations...

aliya14
2004-10-07, 05:51 AM
Now the problem is the ref planes don't show up in the elevation i created parallel to the curved wall.
So how do i draw the profile.
Please help.
Aliya

beegee
2004-10-07, 05:58 AM
Check that the elevation is perpendicular to the central stair radius line, if its slightly off, you won't see the RP's.

Also, check the view extents of the elevation tag to make sure that the RPs cut that view.

aliya14
2004-10-07, 06:10 AM
I checked the elevation tag position it is perpendicular to the ecentral radius lines as well as the view extents, that is also correct still the ref planes r not visible in the elevation.
What else could be the prob?
Aliya

beegee
2004-10-07, 06:20 AM
Compare what you're doing with the sample curved wall/ stair file you posted.

Can you see the RPs in the elevation there ? ( You will need to draw some in, as I think they were only visible in the void family from memory )

aliya14
2004-10-07, 07:20 AM
Hello Bg,
I am really confused , i m still unable to see the ref planes in the elevation. just check in this drawing whether u can understand as to where am going wrong.
regards,
Aliya

beegee
2004-10-07, 08:30 AM
Hi Aliya,

The elevation was not quite parallel to the RP.

I used a framing elevation to snap to the RP, then extended its view boundaries.

See Attached.