PDA

View Full Version : Revit crashes when select Specialty Equipment Families

oskyaqui
2008-11-28, 07:26 PM
Hello,

We have equipment families (they belong to the Specialty Equipment Category) once you select one of them a message appears saying an element became corrupt and the file closes and you need to save a recovery file.
I tried to audit the file but it says that it has too many corrupted files and has to be manually recovered and to contact Autodesk support.
I opened one of this families and change it from Specialty Equipment to Generic Model and I reloaded it to my project and I can select it and move it anywhere, I change it back to the Specialty Equipment category and again once I selected it I got the message that certain element got corrupted and revit closes.
Please if you know or can suggest what I can do, I will appreciate your help…, also if you know how to manually recover the file…

Thanks a lot,

Oscar

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-29, 05:40 AM
Hmm... Could you post your specialty equipment family here, so I can take a look? (hopefully before I leave for AU 2008... ;))

Andre Carvalho

dhurtubise
2008-11-29, 07:59 PM
You need to send the file to Autodesk. Dont waste your time jsut do it.

oskyaqui
2008-11-30, 02:55 PM
Andre, it is not only one file, any of the specialty equipment I select Revit crashes..., I was trying to open one by one, change the family category to Generic Model and reload to the project, it was working but I got to one that when I try to reload to the project Revit crashes, here it is posted, thanks...

HOW DO I SEND THE FILE TO AUTODESK, I CONTACTED THE RESELLER FROM WHERE WE BOUGHT REVIT, THEY HAD NO ANSWER YET..., ANY HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE IT, THANKS A LOT...

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-30, 03:25 PM
Andre, it is not only one file, any of the specialty equipment I select Revit crashes..., I was trying to open one by one, change the family category to Generic Model and reload to the project, it was working but I got to one that when I try to reload to the project Revit crashes, here it is posted, thanks...

HOW DO I SEND THE FILE TO AUTODESK, I CONTACTED THE RESELLER FROM WHERE WE BOUGHT REVIT, THEY HAD NO ANSWER YET..., ANY HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE IT, THANKS A LOT...

I just downloaded your file and found no problems with it. It was set as generic model. I loaded into a blank project file, moved, rotated, etc., and nothing happened. Then I went back t the family, switched it to specialty equipment, loaded into a new blank project file and again, no problems at all... All working fine.

I notice when I downloaded your file and opened it, he upgrade file message showed, what makes me believe you are using other version than Revit 2009. Are you?

My tests were made using Revit Architecture 2009.

Also, I notice that your family has some imported object styles (in your family, if you go to visibility graphics overrides > Imported Categories Tab > select (+) Imports in families, you will see AutoCAD layers there). Was this file created by importing and exploding an AutoCAD file? Maybe hat's another reason for the problem...

As per sending the file to Autodesk, if you have subscription, you can create a support request by logging in your subscription page. If not, you will have to pass by your reseller.

Andre Carvalho

oskyaqui
2008-11-30, 03:38 PM
Thanks for your help Andre, we are using Revit Architecture 2008, I did not create all this families the I am not sure how they were created, I will check for the AutoCAD layers, I think an AutoCAD drawing was used as a guide to draw this family but we did not explode it, and I believe the AutoCAD file was deleted once the family was finished..., does the layers remain even if the CAD file was deleted?

Thanks a lot,

Oscar

Andre Carvalho
2008-11-30, 05:34 PM
does the layers remain even if the CAD file was deleted?

Yes, the layers remain... because you can't link the DWG into a family and have to just import it instead, deleting the DWG will leave those layers behind, as object styles. To get rid of them, you have to go to Settings > Object Styles > Imported Objects > select one by one and hit "Delete".

Andre Carvalho