PDA

View Full Version : Revit bi-directional to MS-Project

Jmickledesign
2008-12-02, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have an idea on how to make this happen, without using Navis Works. I saw a white page that says this is attainable. It puts a new tool option under the tool command at the top of revits options bar.
Thanks,

cliff collins
2008-12-02, 06:44 PM
Export to ODBC?
Import into MS Project?

Just a guess.... Don't use MS Project.

Cheers...

IvanaV
2008-12-03, 09:56 PM
Seriously guys ;-)
does anybody know how to join Revit with MS Project?
any experience, suggestions?

gordolake
2008-12-03, 11:04 PM
hmmm Revit doesn't join bi directionally to any MS application very well at all. excel via autocad is clunky, copy and paste via word is laborious, ODBC to access or excel will only be a one way link I think, although there is some extention tools for parametric model building via excel.
I guess it depends what you want to use it for. I presume in MS project you will be coordinating the works schedule etc. Maybe keynoting is an option but you still need to save to .txt file from project to update keynoting in revit and then you have to reload the keynote file for changes to showup.

I think this has been discussed elsewhere in the forums and would be on many of the wish lists.

Steve

Jmickledesign
2008-12-08, 08:36 PM
O.k. found the info. some where else. Here is what I was looking for. Well i guess it's too big to load on here. Innovaya makes a program that is truly bi directional inside of revit. It even puts a tool option inside the tool command in Revit.

FYI

Thanks,

cek
2008-12-09, 06:07 AM
I looked at Innovaya some time ago. I was informed the program comes in modules and runs around 6k to be effective up to 8k for what I would suspect is full operational status.

I was also pointed to www.buildingexplorer.com (http://www.buildingexplorer.com) as a more robust and newer approach. I contacted them and did a webcast on the software. Very impressive and it directly links into Revit performing real time costing analysis. It also has a flow chart structure to delineated the construction assembly process which is graphically modifiable and simultaneously updates the cost with any changes in the construction process. Although costing data is based on RSmeans it has regional modifiers that can be selected via a drop down and you can further modify individual component costs. It also utilizes a 3d open-GL interface which is much cleaner than what I've seen in Navisworks.

I'm preparing to run some tests with the program to determine the level of modeling accuracy we need to acheive to acquire accurate quantity take-offs. Also the assembly coding is greatly enhanced over the meger listing available within Revit.

I would suspect B.E. might replace the need for MS-Project

bgoldman
2008-12-17, 01:26 PM
I looked at Innovaya some time ago. I was informed the program comes in modules and runs around 6k to be effective up to 8k for what I would suspect is full operational status.

I was also pointed to www.buildingexplorer.com (http://www.buildingexplorer.com) as a more robust and newer approach. I contacted them and did a webcast on the software. Very impressive and it directly links into Revit performing real time costing analysis. It also has a flow chart structure to delineated the construction assembly process which is graphically modifiable and simultaneously updates the cost with any changes in the construction process. Although costing data is based on RSmeans it has regional modifiers that can be selected via a drop down and you can further modify individual component costs. It also utilizes a 3d open-GL interface which is much cleaner than what I've seen in Navisworks.

I'm preparing to run some tests with the program to determine the level of modeling accuracy we need to acheive to acquire accurate quantity take-offs. Also the assembly coding is greatly enhanced over the meger listing available within Revit.

I would suspect B.E. might replace the need for MS-Project

What is the cost of the software? Couldn't find price on website?

cliff collins
2008-12-17, 01:58 PM
Contact Sinisa at BE. He can set up a demo for your office, and if you want to set up a collaboration website to help you set up and use the BE software. It uses SQL server/
database to tie Revit, BE and RS Means databases together--a bit of an IT challenge.

He can work with you on licensing and cost of software.

It's a fantastic program--wait til you see what it can do!!

cheers...

Phil Read
2008-12-17, 04:59 PM
hmmm Revit doesn't join bi directionally to any MS application very well at all."

This may not be correct. Hunter Marston of Autodesk and a few others has worked at length to create bi-directional links with MSProject and Revit. You can reach him at "hunter.marston@autodesk.com".

Tell him I said "Hi!" :)

-Phil

hand471037
2008-12-17, 07:46 PM
Phil's right. A big part of the .NET API is all about talking to MS Office applications. Heck even in the AU API classes they do a short example of taking room info out to Excel and back. However, with that said, I haven't seen any cheap tools that just do that, all I've seen available are the larger tools like BE & Innovaya, which do MS Project integration but a whole lot more.