PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Soffit Condition

jrogers.194618
2008-12-02, 06:48 PM
I'm trying to put in an angled soffit. I have a large overhang (6') and I want the soffit to slope down and hit the building approx 1' from the roof/wall connection. It's very hard to explain so I will attach a picture. Things I have tried so far is inserting a regular soffit. It comes in at level 2. I then figured I could offset it, then edit the profile to slope as I need, but when I'm in the sketch dialog the soffit is not shown where I located it though offsetting (it shows the sketch lines at Level 2 where it was originally inserted). I also tried it in elevation and it gives me a dialog box that says "Go To View" then gives me the options of floor or ceiling plans. This doesn't help because I need to slope the flat soffit vertically. Maybe i can't do this with a soffit??? Please help!

cliff collins
2008-12-02, 06:56 PM
You are on the right track.
Use a ceiling. Locate it at Level 1, with a positive offset
to the dimension above the fin. floor you need.

Then, go to the ceil. plan--you may need to adjust the View Depth,
sketch the slope arrow and finish sketch.

Cheers....

jrogers.194618
2008-12-02, 07:21 PM
Well I'm getting there. I have inserted the ceiling, and give it a slope arrow though the sketch dialog. The problem I'm having now is that Revit is not allowing me to change the slope. When I go into the Element Properties in the sketch mode it says it's at a 1:12, but it's grayed out so I cannot change it. When I go into the Element Properties in the regular mode the slope box is empty and grayed out. Revit also will not allow me to sketch what I want in the 3D view.

jrogers.194618
2008-12-02, 07:27 PM
I think i got it! THANKS

cliff collins
2008-12-02, 07:27 PM
Go to the ceiling plan view.
Click on the ceiling and select Edit
Draw a slpoe arrow, and then select Properties of the arrow.
Specify the offset at the Head and Tail of the arrow.
Finish sketch.

That should do it!

cheers.....

jrogers.194618
2008-12-02, 07:37 PM
Is there anyway to give the ceiling a double slope? I need it to slope 5:12 one way and 3:12 the other. It seems I can only put in one slope, after I put one in the slop arrow is grayed out. Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first project and this seems a bit tricky.

cliff collins
2008-12-02, 08:53 PM
Make 2 ceilings, then Join Geometry.

cheers.....

jrogers.194618
2008-12-02, 09:50 PM
IDK if joining geometry is what I need to do here. You can see that I got the soffit on the left side in correctly. The problem with the soffit on the right side is that I need it to slope 3/12 down then 6/12 up. I created 2 ceilings, one ceiling with the 3/12 slope then the second with the 6/12 and joined them as you instructed, but all it does is clean the edges where they cross. I'll attach a pic of what I currently have.

Dwane Lindsey
2008-12-03, 02:51 AM
In order to make a ceiling element slope in two directions, you'll need to do an in-place family and use a blend. Have the top shape (of the blend sketch) follow the roof line and have the bottom shape follow the top of the window line....just like you have sketched in your first posted image.

steve.70285
2008-12-03, 03:43 AM
If you ever need a soffit with just one slope you can use a roof fascia as a soffit much quicker. To do this, create the profile you need as a Family, load this into a fascia style and use this fascia attached to the bottom plane of the roof. You will need the roof settings to be "Two Cut - Square" (this is why I now use roofs for sheathing and finish only), and the fascia setting must be wider then the roof system depth . One down side is you can only use it on three sides of a roof - not the top.