PDA

View Full Version : Acad 3D dwg unexploded into Revit generic model family

pfaudler
2008-12-03, 10:48 AM
We have a massive library of Acad 3D dwgs of FFE. If we want to use them in Revit, what would be the best approach?

One method suggested is import 3D dwg into Revit generic model (or appropriate family template) and leave it unexploded and then use this family in revit project to popute rooms with 3D FFE.

I read many times in this forum that foreign elements create revit stability problems and we shuold keep as many elements to native revit as possible.

Can you please share your experience on this?
Do you see any problem using Acad 3D dwg unexploded in Revit families and populating rooms with it? I am talking about 250+ rooms projects.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards

tomnewsom
2008-12-03, 12:06 PM
The trouble is that you'll get performance issues. Good revit families have simple 2D representations that override the 3D model in plan/section/elevation. Your imported 3D content will be displayed everywhere, and will slow things down on larger projects.

Also, note that Revit doesn't handle hidden edges on meshed objects, so unless your ACAD objects use Solids, your curved surfaces will come through with loads of tesselating triangles.

IMO, the best solution would be to take a little time to create the 2D representaions in your imported families.

I don't know about stability issues though...

pfaudler
2009-01-26, 02:17 PM
Thanks Tom.
Has anyone got any experience in this side? We have a very large database of hospital 3D dwgs and would like to use the library in Revit projects.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Scott Womack
2009-01-26, 05:35 PM
Thanks Tom.
Has anyone got any experience in this side? We have a very large database of hospital 3D dwgs and would like to use the library in Revit projects.

You can use it, but be prepared for the file to be extremely slow. There is no way around this, except recreating the items as Revit Families (without the Acad DWG in it)

There isn't really any other choices, except possible quad core 64 bit machines with 16 to 32 gig of Ram, which is not really feasible, I know.