PDA

View Full Version : Solar Studies + Manage Place and Locations

Jun Austria
2008-12-04, 01:11 AM
Is Solar Studies in Revit accurate? The reason I asked is I stumble into a two different result using Latitude and longitude.

Case 1: I input my Latitude +4.9 and Longitude +114.95 (for Brunei) while the city was set
to Boston,MA, USA. It will turn to User Defined onced I enter the coordinates.
Then I choose Solar Studies. The Sunrise and Sunset is like happening at the
other side of the world.

Case 2: Before I input the coordinates, I choose the nearest neighboring country which
is Singapore. Then I input the same coordinates and choose Solar Studies.
Then the result is Ok.

Is case 2 the rule of thumb for setting up your location? Is it accurate?

gordolake
2008-12-04, 04:36 AM
Hi, see this post for info on saving locations in the program file directory, so you can add as many new locations as you like. Hope this helps http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=91792

Steve

dhurtubise
2008-12-04, 12:39 PM
Did you used the same view?

Jun Austria
2008-12-05, 12:13 AM
Did you used the same view?

No. In both case, I started new. Just draw a box building for shadow test.
Give it a try. Follow the step in case 1 and 2. See if you get the same result.
I thought by entering the user value in Latitude and Longitude will give you the same result.

If you dont get the same result, probably I have to look into my template file.

Calvn_Swing
2008-12-06, 02:38 PM
You might double check that both boxes are near the origin. I've had someone try this but model the building way off the origin. If so, the origin is the point you specify, so if you're 3 million feet away, you'll get some weird results.

Make a cad file with a crosshair at 0,0. Import it origin to origin. This will tell you where the origin is in Revit. Then, make sure your building is close to it. If so, you should have consistent results. I did a quick test and didn't get the problem you're describing.

Jun Austria
2008-12-07, 05:56 AM
Make a cad file with a crosshair at 0,0. Import it origin to origin. This will tell you where the origin is in Revit. Then, make sure your building is close to it. If so, you should have consistent results. I did a quick test and didn't get the problem you're describing.

That is a good tip. I will include it in my template. thanks.