PDA

View Full Version : View Titles - keeping them in place

J-G
2003-08-16, 06:32 AM
There was a post about view titles and the problem of them moveing as the model is modified, but I couldn't find it so I am posting here.

My problem was related specifically to details. We set up our standard title blocks so that there will be eqaully spaced detail blocks of 6 1/4" x 5 3/4". I created a generic annotation symbol that is just a rectangle with the dimensions 6 1/4" x 4 7/8". I took off 7/8" from the total size I wanted becasue when I pull a drafting view into a sheet the view title will come in just under the remaining 7/8".

Since the rectangle is defined as anotation it will automatically scale to the view's scale. I want to see my limits while drafting so I just set the objects parameters so that the limit lines are a very faded gray - when you plot it they will be practically invisible.

This meathod would work also for full sheet plan views. If you create a rectange with the total size of your drawing area (minus about 1" at the botm to allow for your view title) then as long as your clipping box, or dimensions do not extend past your "limits" then the veiw title will be place where you want it and shouldn't move with future edits to the model views.

jacob chavez
2003-08-16, 10:09 AM
Jon, I see what you are doing with making the extents annotaion 7/8" shorter in the Y direction so that your view title is automatically put in the appropriate location, but this only works for the Y direction, right? I made the same extents rectangle, and my view title is shifted left about 7/8" too far as well. I can't think of a way to correct for this automatically. Even if one were to make the rectangle 7/8" shorter in the X direction, then this wouldn't represent the true extents for the detail.... as soon as one were to draft outside of the rectangle it would shift your view title... no good.

I've been doing what I think most others have (correct me if I'm wrong) and that is, just tabbing on the view title until I can move it and then fudging it to look right. Once you get one, the others will line up easily. This is still not a good solution since as soon as my drafting goes outside the current extents, I have to chase down the view title... this gets a little annoying.

JC

J-G
2003-08-16, 03:30 PM
I see what you are doing with making the extents annotaion 7/8" shorter in the Y direction so that your view title is automatically put in the appropriate location, but this only works for the Y direction, right?

This is correct. It only works in the y direction becasue Revit allows you to adjust the horizonatal location of the view title with grips. My extents annotation is the full width horizontaly. And I place some ticks within the extents (kind of looks like this ____|_______________________|______) then I adjust horizontaly my view title and its done. The title is vertically where I want it becasue it is place automatically under my extents (and this won't change becasue the extents aren't going to be changing) and the title is horizontaly where I want it becasue I adjusted it to my tick lines.

This works fo me becasue then I get a detail sheet will all the same sized blocks and the view titles are now in consistance locations - without me having to fudge them around too much.

jacob chavez
2003-08-16, 08:52 PM
Jon, just so you know, you can move the view title in the Y direction manually. Just hover over it and tab until it is selected (probably twice) then you can move it. I made an annotation as well, but mine encompasses the whole detail, view title and all. I then put a small + sign made with lines where I want the view title to be. It is necessary to move each view title to this location. This way, if you will have a little more drafting area.

see attached

J-G
2003-08-16, 09:29 PM
Yes that is very simular. The reason I opted to make my extent annotation shorter vertically is that I wanted the view title to pop into place automatically. The only problem with moving it into the "drafting space" is that when you place an annotation, or line or whatever and it changes the vertical extents of the the drafting space the view title will often readjust itself. And that is the annoyance I was trying to solve.

Simon.Whitbread
2003-08-22, 12:28 AM
Can you change the display font for this category? I've looked :banghead: and getting nowhere. I've been told 'we don't reference like THAT!'

beegee
2003-08-22, 01:15 AM
Can you change the display font for this category? I've looked and getting nowhere. I've been told 'we don't reference like THAT!'

Open the view title family, select the text to be changed, edit and select new font. Save as new view title name or replace existing. ( Best to save customised families in a new directory, so they don't get overwritten by new builds )

Simon.Whitbread
2003-08-22, 01:55 AM
After a break AND a coffee, its all clear
TA!

Michael Coviello
2003-09-16, 06:49 PM
I am also trying to customize view titles.
Is there a way to change the extension line to a different graphic? I'd like to have a double line of two thicknesses.
thanks

beegee
2003-09-16, 09:18 PM
Editing the viewport properties will allow you to change the extension line weight, colour and line type. ( or no extension line ) The available linetypes do not include a double line and I don't think you can make a custom double line.

jacob chavez
2003-09-19, 08:08 PM
Currently, you can't make a double line as a linetype. If you put a second line in your view title family, it doesn't stretch out with the upper one. I have thought about creating a second line attached to a ref plane and an instance parameter that would allow you to stretch it. More hastle than it's worth? Maybe.

JC

Steve_Stafford
2003-09-19, 11:31 PM
You could use a font with underline and the system line...still not pretty but doable....

Michael Coviello
2003-09-30, 05:17 PM
I was able to add the double line by making a new view title and adding the lines in the family. I made 2 different view title lines (heavy and light)
Then, in the project deselect the extension line property. Not sure if this is the most elegant solution but it has been working fine.

jacob chavez
2003-10-26, 04:57 AM
The problem with this solution is that you can't adjust the length of the lines. You can create a reference plane (only by copying an existing one) but even if you add an instance parameter, you still don't have control over the length of the lines.