PDA

View Full Version : Details in Revit

jacob chavez
2003-08-16, 12:44 PM
One important topic that I have not seen addressed is that of Details in Revit. This is something that we have gone around and around about how this should be done.

One benefit that Autocad has over Revit is the ability to reuse details easily. It doesn't seem that there is a strategy currently in place that allows us to do this effectively in Revit.

Secondly, exploding details in Revit is not the best idea, however unavoidable it seems. It creates new linetypes and in the end takes you as long as it would have to just create the detail from scratch within Revit. Even then, what do you do to enable you to reuse this detail in future projects?

I am curious how others are handling this delema. Is there a definate strategy that we should be following? Are the developers at Revit aware of this issue and working toward a solution?

JC

J-G
2003-08-16, 03:35 PM
I have been having pretty good luck with exploding imported details in Revit. I think in the future (I have heard that there are still problems) groups would be an effective way of saving detials our of file.

I do agree however that Revit needs a better method. What I would like to see is perhaps a better way to categorize details and views within Revit. If you have five 30x42" seets full of details it starts to get a little more dificult to manage the views, and if you use fully descriptive names for the views they are not always the ones you want showing up on the view titiles.

jacob chavez
2003-08-16, 08:57 PM
What you can do regarding view naming is go to the view properties for that detail, and type in the name that you want under view title on sheet. This allows you to have as many titles with the same name as you want, but unique view names. It would be nice if revit associate the view name and its detail number/sheet number. Then for every view, you just use the title on sheet method for each one. This way it would be way easier to track down a specific detail that you are looking for.

I think I'll cc this to support.

JC