PDA

View Full Version : Plan Graphics Residential - showing structure

3dway
2008-12-08, 09:58 PM
We have a structural consultant size our wood frame strucuture and we show it on our plans.

At the very least I hope to be able to recreate what we did in ACAD but in Revit. See attached image.

I'm still learning Revit so please be patient if my terms and methods are not correct.

Would you:
Make a dependant floor plan and edit the graphics settings so that only the structural lines and notes showed then somehow underlay or overlay that on the plan. I'd like it show on the plan where it belongs at full line weight.

Then somehow underlay it on the level below so you can see the point loads from above. This seems like a problem because you would have to underlay the full lineweight structure for that level as well.

In a perfect world we would have 3d structure in the model and would be able to detect collisions and know if a post goes unsupportted. Say you move a wall below, you get a warning that there's a post in that wall that is now unsupportted. And lintels would warn you that they're receiving a point load from above. Not sure how to do that in Revit Architecture alone.

Thanks for any info.

3dway
2008-12-09, 01:34 PM
Bump for me.

Does everyone just put this stuff in with drafting lines?

ghale
2008-12-09, 02:39 PM
Most of the structure in our residential projects is represented with drafting lines until we get into some of the steel framing. Structural views are created and bearing walls are defined, such that only bearing walls are shown.

3dway
2008-12-09, 08:57 PM
I'm quite new to Revit. Is it nieve of me to think that this is underusing it?

When I think of modelling the structure, how would you superimpose that with the walls?

ghale
2008-12-09, 09:09 PM
You've got to keep in mind that modeling the entire structure will not provide a major advantage. It would be time prohibitive to do so in most residential projects. Items like roof trusses, floor joists, and window headers can and should be generic. Shop drawings will define specific layouts for many of these things. Defining generic geometry in the model and providing more detail in sections and callouts should be enough.

Cut planes can be adjusted as necessary for a structural view of a floor plan.

3dway
2008-12-10, 01:26 PM
I agree. I don't want to model the whole structure nor the framing, but I would like to model point loads from assumed girder locations, and from window or opening supports that may or may not load a beam or lintel midspan below.

It's no loss to continue doing things the way we did before, just with different software, but I was hoping.

The though here was, I have to do the work to draw a drafting line to represent a post or a lintel or a beam, I may as well use a line based family for it, but If I do that for a flush beam, or for a lintel, it is coincident with the generic wall or floor which is an interference check problem for Revit, right?

Is there any way to host someting (a family) inside a wall?

ghale
2008-12-10, 01:38 PM
I agree. I don't want to model the whole structure nor the framing, but I would like to model point loads from assumed girder locations, and from window or opening supports that may or may not load a beam or lintel midspan below.

It's no loss to continue doing things the way we did before, just with different software, but I was hoping.

The though here was, I have to do the work to draw a drafting line to represent a post or a lintel or a beam, I may as well use a line based family for it, but If I do that for a flush beam, or for a lintel, it is coincident with the generic wall or floor which is an interference check problem for Revit, right?

Is there any way to host someting (a family) inside a wall?

You are not going to get the model to work for you to design headers for residential construction. Wood framing and residential construction has too many variables to keep track of in the modeling.
It is posible to model the lintel, however, I haven't done it because, again, there are too many variables that can effect it's actual size and design. If you have some consistency in lintel or header size, then you can place a nested family or a solid sweep into the window family. As the window is placed, so is the lintel. This should not cause any interferences.

3dway
2008-12-15, 10:32 PM
You are not going to get the model to work for you to design headers for residential construction. Wood framing and residential construction has too many variables to keep track of in the modeling.
It is posible to model the lintel, however, I haven't done it because, again, there are too many variables that can effect it's actual size and design. If you have some consistency in lintel or header size, then you can place a nested family or a solid sweep into the window family. As the window is placed, so is the lintel. This should not cause any interferences.

So the lintel would overrun the wall above the opening, but since it's part of a window family, it's not an error?

ghale
2008-12-16, 02:50 PM
In general, a lintel in the window family will not cause interferences. You can also use symbolic lines within the family to represent the lintel that won't add too much weight to the family file size. In wood framing, we tend to leave these headers out of the family and just detail them in the sections generically. There are too many variables in header sizes and wall materials.

Paul Monsef
2008-12-16, 03:35 PM
About 90% of the time, filled regions work for showing trusses/joists etc... That's a heck of a lot faster than a detail line for every joist!

3dway
2008-12-16, 08:49 PM
Every lintel, not every joist. We show joist direction only, with an arrow symbol.

ellen.213227
2009-04-03, 03:03 PM
3Dway: Thank you for the question about wood const. framing plans -it is exactly my question. I'm not seeing an answer yet on this thread that exactly helps me. I'm pretty much still in the beginning stages of working with Revit.

Paul Monset: Your framing plans were great. Exactly what is the procedure you used for that? Create a plan as a dependent, then what? How did you get the underlay dotted?

I appreciate any help. Meanwhile, I'm muddling through....

Thanks.

Paul Monsef
2009-04-27, 05:39 PM
There are a few ways, here is two.
1. Create a new view and set it up to show everything you want do see from the floor above. Then on the sheet, place this view on top of the framing plan.

2. Set the level above as an underlay & manually use the line-work tool OR override the graphics in that view.

I typically do 2, if I am not in a hurry. :)