PDA

View Full Version : Can you force existing levels to rename views after saying don't rename views?

3dway
2008-12-10, 04:57 PM
Can you force existing levels to rename views after saying don't rename views?

I made these levels and views way back when I was learning. I'm pleased to find out that the model is pretty good after learning more on a couple of other projects.

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my underlays won't show up. I don't remember what I did, but not matter what the underlay I can't see it. I would like the view names to match the level names so I can figure out what is going on.

Are underlays phase sensitive? I have a floor plan view which is existing, and another which is new. I want to underlay the new on the existing so I can see which foundation walls need to be partially demolished where the new design cuts into the existing garage.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-10, 05:30 PM
Underlays work by Levels, not by views. Also, i dont believe youre going to be able to have a different phased underlay, as the view is set to. Its not a different *view* per se.

Why not simply put the view on "Show all" to see the existing, demolished, and new?

Another option is drop both the existing and the new view on a sheet, and they will snap together if theyre the same scale.

But the actual UNDERLAY is not a view under a view, its a snapshot of a "Level" underneath a view. Meaning, it wont even respect the View range of the other *view*, its going to show what is present at the level youre underlaying... Up until the next level...

3dway
2008-12-10, 06:20 PM
I thought it was a view. I guess if it were you could run into the problem of cyclical view references. You could have a view with an underlay, then if you underlay that, you have an underlay with an underlay.

....Still, if I underlay the top of slab on the main level floor plan, I don't see the foundation walls. Maybe I'll play with levels to solve it. Since they don't respect view range, It could be the source of the problem.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-10, 06:33 PM
What is the view range of the main level floor plan? If the foundation walls exist WITHIN the view range of the main level, they will be EXCLUDED from the underlay.

So, if your view range for main level goes down to three feet below, but a floor is there (so you dont SEE the foundation walls) they still wont display in the underlay, as theyre present in the main view RANGE primarily. This is the reason for some underlays excluding walls, doors, etc...

3dway
2008-12-11, 01:27 PM
Great info again and thanks TWF. Anyone who can invent a help search engine that responds like a forum full of AUGI members will be rich. This is helping me understand view range better and will alleiviate my problems there.

...so back to my original question, just for closure. If I named a level and told it not to rename associated views when I made it, and I want to change them to match again, is there a way to force the level to rename views, after the fact?

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-11, 01:59 PM
This forum IS the best help file for ME, anyway. LOL... I come here first, hit the help file as a last resort. No offense to the help file or its creators, of course...

Im not sure what drives it to prompt you, but it prompts me a lot of the time, when i change the name of a Level and/or View. Im not sure why or when or the rhyme or reason though. So yes, you can make it change the names again, just not sure how.

ajayholland
2008-12-11, 04:48 PM
The automatic renaming works only when the name of the primary associated view is identical to that of the level.

To determine which view is primary, “right-click” on the level in a section or elevation view and select “go to floor plan”.

~AJH

jeffh
2008-12-11, 05:12 PM
I come here first, hit the help file as a last resort. No offense to the help file or its creators, of course...

Hey now! Watch it, you are on thin ice buddy! ;-)

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-11, 05:19 PM
LOL, thats exactly why i put in the No Offense! : )

ajayholland
2008-12-11, 06:41 PM
Perhaps this should be a separate topic.

The help documentation cannot possibly cover all possible scenarios. Interestingly, it does not directly answer the question originally asked here. That answer should be available in a FAQ; it certainly qualifies. The expertise available in these forums combines knowledge with user experience, which is why it is so valuable.

BTW I think we all respect the fact that Jeff is one of the few Autodesk employees who maintains a visible presence here.

~AJH

stellarblue153
2008-12-31, 12:29 AM
If you simply rename the Views back to the same exact name as the associated Levels, they will be "reconnected" and you will get the prompt again when you try to change the name of the Levels. You can check the View Properties to see what the Associated Level is for the View in order to rename it to the same name as the Levels.