PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to hide part of a family?

agrubb
2008-12-11, 04:16 PM
I am trying to create some plumbing families (sink with a trap and stops) that was shown at AU this year. Can the sink and stops be turned off or hidden within the family. I ask because a few older guys in my firm are against showing the fixtures on the ISO drawings we are required to have because they will hide part of the piping.

Thanks for any help,

Adam

sfaust
2008-12-11, 04:45 PM
Probably you want to put the fixtures on a subcategory. Then you can turn off that subcategory in the relevant views.

cdatechguy
2008-12-11, 04:46 PM
Or add a yes/no visibility to them...there are quite a few methods of doing what you want....

sfaust
2008-12-11, 04:50 PM
keep in mind that yes/no parameter will turn it off for ALL view as it modifies the actual family definition. Subcategories allow you to have fortions of the same family instance visible in some views and not others. That is why I would say subcategories are better for this instance than yes/no parameters, at least from my understanding of the need...

mwiggins121466
2008-12-11, 04:55 PM
Better yet you can define at the family level what will be seen at the different detail levels or View specific display. In your family click on the element and you will see a button for visibility. click on it. Look in help Revit MEP 2009 User's Guide > Platform > Creating Your Own Components (Families) > Visibility and Detail Levels >
HTH

cdatechguy
2008-12-11, 05:32 PM
Actually, now that I think about it....I do both so that I can turn it on/off in a instance, but hide in a view as needed by subcategory....

agrubb
2008-12-11, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all your help!