PDA

View Full Version : e-SPECS for Revit

bcgatti
2008-12-11, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there is using "e-SPECS for Revit" by InterSpec.

We sat through a Web Demo today and the product looks very promising. I'm looking to hear any real world feedback (positive or negative) from the AUGI community about this package.

Does it perform as promised? Did your Architects/Revit users take to it right away?

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Scott Womack
2008-12-11, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there is using "e-SPECS for Revit" by InterSpec.

We sat through a Web Demo today and the product looks very promising. I'm looking to hear any real world feedback (positive or negative) from the AUGI community about this package.

Does it perform as promised? Did your Architects/Revit users take to it right away?

We are/have implemented it. I believe in the product whole-heartedly. That said, there can be a considerable amount of work on more than one person's part to get it implemented widely in a firm. It does work as advertised, and works well. The work involved is three fold. 1) is getting the Masterspec database version revised and up to your firm's standards. This obviously needs to be done by the spec writer, or the most specification savvy person in your firm. 2) You'll need to make additional assembly codes, since the content that ships with Revit has extremely generic codes, if at all. As you make the assembly codes, you'll create what e-Specs calls bindings. This maps the assembly code to a series of partial specification sections. 3) Once the assembly codes have been completed, you'll need to open ALL of the families you've accumulated, and edit/change/place an assembly code into it.

This will also be a moving target for awhile, but you can get a specification started in SD's using this system. eSpecs will also generate Keynote information based upon what is in that specification for that project. This means you cannot keynote something that there is no specification for. Also the reports it generates can be used to cross-check the model, the assembly codes in the model, and, to create a list of all materials, and required tests/submittals in that project's specifications.

I hope this helps.

Scott

erick
2009-03-17, 06:52 PM
I just came across this thread and I am trying to revive the discussion. Is anyone else using this or another system to generate specs from Revit? We also saw the demo and read Scott's comments. It looks good but what are the pitfalls? What size & type of projects are you using?

Lots of questions....

Thanks for the help.

Scott Womack
2009-03-17, 11:05 PM
Ok, Our firm works on college based projects, ranging from 9 million, to 100 million in size.

The single biggest issue is the amount of time/work involved in getting it taylored to your office's type of specifications. It will take at least 2 dedicated people, one who knows some thing of specs, and alot about Revit, and then someone who is essentially a spec writer. It is too much work, and software that will take some time to get used to, currently for only one person to master. IMHO

dhurtubise
2009-03-18, 12:11 AM
I'm woth Scott here. Use it on small, large and very large job. Couple issue to be careful with like phasing. But make sure you hire the e-SPECS people to get you started. Going on your own will be a HUGE waste of money.
I can hook you up if you want.