PDA

View Full Version : Wall healing default between new wall fill and existing wall

sfraney
2008-12-11, 08:26 PM
Hi everyone.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to get the line break to appear between new wall fills and existing wall joins? To be graphically correct, there should be a little line between a new and existing wall but Revit's default shows nothing.

I've included a sketchthat shows what I'm talking about.

Scott Womack
2008-12-11, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to get the line break to appear between new wall fills and existing wall joins? To be graphically correct, there should be a little line between a new and existing wall but Revit's default shows nothing.

I've included a sketchthat shows what I'm talking about.

Tab through until you get the infill piece of wall selected with its blue-dots, then right-click over the dots and tell it to disallow joins.

sfraney
2008-12-11, 09:54 PM
Thanks Scott,

That was my first thought, this works fine with new wall to existing wall connections, simply clicking on the wall grip and disallowing the join works. But when there is an existing door, when one demos this door and revit infills the door openingwith a new wall to close the opening, the option to "disallow" the wall joins is not an option.

Dwane Lindsey
2008-12-11, 11:31 PM
Thanks Scott,

That was my first thought, this works fine with new wall to existing wall connections, simply clicking on the wall grip and disallowing the join works. But when there is an existing door, when one demos this door and revit infills the door openingwith a new wall to close the opening, the option to "disallow" the wall joins is not an option.

Use the Unjoin Geometry Tool and the lines will appear...and the infill wall will still move with the Existing wall if the Existing wall happens to get adjusted.

sfraney
2008-12-12, 12:28 AM
Excellent Dwane!

It worked, thanks so much.

Dwane Lindsey
2008-12-12, 01:16 AM
No problem, glad to help!

swalton240189
2009-02-19, 11:28 PM
Use the Unjoin Geometry Tool and the lines will appear...and the infill wall will still move with the Existing wall if the Existing wall happens to get adjusted.

What if you have the opposite situation you have an existing door that you demo? How do I get the break? When I unjoin geometry I end up with what looks like an existing projection line overlapping my dashed demo line.

Thanks

Andre Carvalho
2009-02-19, 11:32 PM
What if you have the opposite situation you have an existing door that you demo? How do I get the break? When I unjoin geometry I end up with what looks like an existing projection line overlapping my dashed demo line.

Thanks

I never tried that, but you could try using the Linework tool.

Andre Carvalho

pleasantc
2009-10-26, 10:30 PM
How do you get the infill piece to be black instead of grey (without using the linework tool)? And is it possible to get it to show the different layers of the wall construction instead of just an outline?

Thanks!

Scott Womack
2009-10-27, 10:53 AM
How do you get the infill piece to be black instead of grey (without using the linework tool)? And is it possible to get it to show the different layers of the wall construction instead of just an outline?

When that infill piece of wall appears after demoing a door in an existing wall, that infill piece (although sometimes difficult) can be selected, and its wall type changed. That way you can show a new infill piece of wall where an existing wall once stood. Another "trick" is to create a special wall style, with the Type comments, or some other parameter filled in, and then create a view filter for walls, that uses that parameter. Then the View Filter can be added to the view graphics (and via View Templates) to turn that piece of wall off in views.

pleasantc
2009-10-27, 05:21 PM
I did change the wall type, but it remained grey and showed only the outside two lines of the wall as if it were an existing wall. What I ended up doing was split the wall on either side of the door and I drew in a new wall. I read that in another post. It works, but is a pain.

Thanks!

Scott Womack
2009-10-27, 08:33 PM
Did you change the phase of that piece of Wall?

pleasantc
2009-10-28, 02:42 AM
Phasing was not listed in the properties of the wall.

Scott Womack
2009-10-28, 10:36 AM
Phasing was not listed in the properties of the wall.

Sorry about that no you cannot. They appear to have changed this at some point. But, I demoed a door, and the lines for that infill were a little darker. By Tabbing, I could select that piece of wall, and as the attached illustration shows, I changed it to a wall type that was vastly different, and much thicker for this illustration.

pleasantc
2009-10-28, 03:20 PM
I figured out what the problem was! The person who set up this file (it was not me!) set up a 'Demo' phase, and not thinking about it, that's the phase I've been telling it to demo in. I guess since you can't add a Phase Status to the Graphic Overrides in Phasing, it just left it grey because it didn't know what to do with it. I changed the door to be demo'd in the New Construction phase and voila! It worked just the way you said it would!

Thanks so much for your help!