PDA

View Full Version : Residential floor/ceiling issue.

bclarch
2003-08-18, 03:23 PM
I am starting a new residential project where we might get into some interior renderings and I will therefore need to be able to add ceiling based lights. Previously I have been including the gyp. bd. ceiling as part of the floor structure since in residential work the floor and ceiling are really one in the same. I didn't have to worry about light fixtures because I have been creating the electrical plans using 2D symbols and lines. Is there some trick to get Revit to allow ceiling based light fixtures to be inserted in floors? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and create a floor using only the framing and subfloor and then create a separate gyp. bd. ceiling for each room? How have the rest of you been addressing this issue?

PeterJ
2003-08-18, 03:56 PM
If you wont render then lots of people just use drafting symbols for the electrics, lighting included. If you will render then you are pretty much right that you need to insert a floor and a ceiling below it to host the light. Don't forget though that ceilings generally can bve autocreated so you just click in the room and it exists, not too time consuming.

When it comes to creating the lights you will need to place them in an RCP

P

sbrown
2003-08-18, 04:07 PM
Just remove the gyp from your floor ceiling assembly and create a new ceiling that is just gyp.

bclarch
2003-08-18, 04:34 PM
Thanks Peter & Scott. Thats what I thought, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some other trick. Does anyone think that this issue is significant enough to warrant a wishlist request for a combined floor/ceiling family that will host both floor and ceiling objects? Seems to me like it would fall into the "nice to have" catagory but is not a "must have". Is there even enough interest to start a poll?

PeterJ
2003-08-18, 04:54 PM
If its a 'nice to have' then you could probably remake all your lights as floor hosted families as a workaround. For now I am happy with things as they are.

sbrown
2003-08-18, 09:28 PM
I do think it is a great wish list item, we run into it constantly, when we create a bot. chord of as truss as a roof with gyp. but then we can't insert mech or elec. fixtures into it. So maybe its just an option in the family to allow the family to be inserted into a roof, ceiling or floor.