PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU ALL!!!

Jun Austria
2008-12-12, 01:10 AM
I have just finished my first FULL documentation of one building plus site in Revit.
(Actually there are two buildings in the site. But the other one is a hybrid of AutoCAD/Archicad and Revit.) And I did it all alone in one month with the help of my fellow AUGI members here of course.

So thank you...

josh.made4worship
reviot
Steve_Stafford
jetisart

and so on. Sorry if I miss some names. But thank you again. This forum is instrumental for bringing me to the finish line.

This day onwards, after spending 22 years in AutoCAD. Its gonna be full speed ahead with REVIT.

Gadget Man
2008-12-12, 06:57 AM
That's very nice of you! Thank you to and good luck for the future :)

3dway
2008-12-12, 01:20 PM
Congratulations, and in fewer posts than me. I'm part way into four Revit projects. Not the best way to learn, I'm sure, but such is the delivery schedule in the industry.

We're implementing, and based on your background, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on implementing Revit.

What were the hardest parts? Did you encounter resistance in your office? Is your office implementing with a "top down" philosophy? What is definately easier? Where do you see your time savings? Do you design in Revit or do working drawings from other design drawings?

Good Luck,
Congrats,
and Thanks.

AUGI Strangelove
2008-12-12, 05:11 PM
I too would be interested to hear these stories. I'm pretty new to a small firm, and to bim (after a brief interlude with Bentley). The office is pretty supportive of the process of learning the software, but there is a bit of grousing about the graphic output, and control of how things look unfinished sometimes. Railings seem to be a big thing here.

Jun Austria
2008-12-13, 03:24 AM
What were the hardest parts? Did you encounter resistance in your office? Is your office implementing with a "top down" philosophy? What is definately easier? Where do you see your time savings? Do you design in Revit or do working drawings from other design drawings?

Good Luck,
Congrats,
and Thanks.

Thank You.

The hardest part? Is convincing people to switch. Its not that easy, specially for the older staff. I understand there concern. The turn-over of work during transition will be slow. But as I explained to them, once they pass this hurdle. It will be full speed ahead. Worksharing is one feature that really put fun into work when we were working on the pilot project for Revit.

Resistance? Well, we are AutoCAD, Archicad and Revit environment now. I believe you can imagine the resistance I'm getting now. But I'm winning hearts from those who never use AutoCAD. So its kinda a "top down" philosophy. Both Revit and Archicad are being test driven in our office now. But, I'm happy to say "I'm satisfied" with the result when compared to AutoCAD and Archicad.

Time Saver? Doing details, Details for Toilet, Kitchen and Roof and others. This area are already built during the design phase. Its just a matter of "enhancing" it for tender or construction drawing. Again, if only you can see, my manual drafting style was ported to AutoCAD. And from AutoCAD, I can have the same style in Revit. You can't hardly differentiate my AutoCAD drawing to Revit. I can work seamlessly with the AutoCAD users.

The pilot project was started in AutoCAD during preliminary design. I used single line layout only. Then import to Revit to built the rest during the design stage. But I did full Revit for tender documentation for one of the building. And did all alone. The other building I mentioned, due to time constraint. It was done in Revit, Archicad and Autocad. And time to time, I drop in also into there workset. But after finishing this project, I'm confident to say we can do the next project 100% revit.