PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Ceilings to Roofs

dimitri
2008-12-12, 09:06 PM
I'm having a small problem attaching a ceiling to a roof. I simply want to create a ceiling for a gabled roof that isn't at the level of the walls, i.e. the ceiling is very high and i want to avoid the sides sticking past the edges of the roof. Is there a simple way to do it ?

iankids
2008-12-12, 09:19 PM
Hi Dimitri,

There are a number of good threads on sloped ceilings. Have a read through http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5337

Hopefully it helps answer your question.

Cheers,

Ian

dimitri
2008-12-12, 09:29 PM
Some good info there Ian, but i'm looking for something a bit different. Check out the file attached. I want to ensure that no matter where i move that ceiling, it doesn't stick out past the roof obviously. :(

iankids
2008-12-12, 09:51 PM
Hi Dimitri,

I would probably control it by locking the edges to grids.

Using the grids, you can control the width of the ceiling if you decide to change the height.

See attached - is this what you wanted?

Cheers,

Ian

dimitri
2008-12-12, 10:02 PM
Thanks Ian, that's basically it! But how did you get the ceiling to constrain to the gridlines? I don't see it under element properties...

iankids
2008-12-12, 10:06 PM
Create the grid lines in your section view at the intersection of the inside of the rafter and the ceiling.
Click on the ceiling to select it - hit the edit button - go to a plan view (doesn't matter which one).
From within the plan view use the align tool to align the sketch line of the ceiling to the grid and lock it when aligned

Jobs done!

dimitri
2008-12-15, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot Ian, that works like a charm!