PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal mullion & column junction

AgentVlin
2008-12-14, 01:00 AM
Hi Guys.

I have a curtain wall system with horizontal grid lines and mullions attached. When I extend the curtain wall into the column recess (as shown) the horizontal mullion clashes with the column, as it want to extend to the extent of the curtain wall. Can I avoid this clash without inserting new curtain grid lines at the boundary of the column and the curtain wall?
The image attached shows the horizontal mullion clashing with column (at the top of the image) and the curtain wall not extending into the column recess, which is not desirable (at the bottom of the image)

Any suggestions or advice. Thanks guys!

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-12-14, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not sure if I am interpreting the image correctly. If the blue is your curtain panel you will need to add another grid or create a curtain panel to use at the jamb conditions which will extend beyond the curtain grid.

From a construction standpoint is the panel being captured in the column reveal rather than a mullion (window frame)?

AgentVlin
2008-12-15, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not sure if I am interpreting the image correctly. If the blue is your curtain panel you will need to add another grid or create a curtain panel to use at the jamb conditions which will extend beyond the curtain grid.

From a construction standpoint is the panel being captured in the column reveal rather than a mullion (window frame)?

Hi Dimitri
Thanks for the Welcome :)
Your right, the panel is being captured in the column rather than a vertical mullion. I was hoping to avoid 2 additional mullions or cutain panels per column for the entire project as this adds up to quiet a lot of additional modelling.

xiqx
2008-12-15, 08:40 AM
Hi,

I might misinterpret your drawing but I suggest you make your model of the mullion more simpel. I would make it only a rectangle.

You can add a 2d detail to you curtain wall that would show op when you switch to fine detail for example.

You might not suffer from performance loss now, but all these little things together will make it slow.

greg.mcdowell
2008-12-15, 04:54 PM
I did something similar. Check out this file and see if it helps. Be sure to examine the views at all the detail levels.