PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find Browse dialogue boxes

Haden
2008-12-14, 08:24 PM
I run Revit Arch 2009 on a laptop which I frequently use with a 2nd display, either in a duplicate desktop mode (w/ some projectors) or on a split desktop, with my 2nd monitor.

For the last week or so, when I invoke certain Revit commands that involve browsing (such as File -- New -- Project), then hit the browse button, the browse dialogue does not show up, and when I click again on the New Project dialogue, I get a rejection tone, and cannot do anything in Revit until I hit escape and cancel on this box. This also happens when I try to browse for the location of the Keynotes .txt file to use.

Needless to say, this is a REAL handicap!

I tried installing the Web Update Svc Pack 3, as well as updating the drivers to my graphics card: ATI Radeon Mobility 9700, which up until this week has worked without any such hitches for several years of Revit use. I have also tried switching back and forth between dual screens and a single screen, in every way I can think of to un-stick this behaviour, but no success.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

iankids
2008-12-14, 09:17 PM
Hi Haden

It sounds really weird.

Does the the same thing happen if you are running a single screen only? If it is ok on a single screen, my gut feel would still be the video card and or drivers.

If it is still a problem on a single screen, I would think you should lodge a support request with the factory. (Probably be asked to do a complete "clean" install!?)

With the keynotes, I seem to remember that if you are running Vista the user account control needs to be turned off before install the program or else the keynotes won't work.

Cheers,

Ian

arqt49
2008-12-14, 10:43 PM
That happened to me before.
Did you change your primary display? If so, return to the original setting.
I believe the new project window is offset outside both monitors.
If you use some type of display management, like the one from nvidia, it has a option for preventing windows from opening off screen area.

nigeld
2008-12-14, 11:08 PM
Can you explain or describe the location of the nvidia setting for this? I cant find it. Thanks.

Haden
2008-12-14, 11:18 PM
Does the the same thing happen if you are running a single screen only?

Thanks, Ian, and Gonçalo. I appreciate your responses. Yes, it does happen when I reduce my display to a single screen, and when I have both screens on in my office, I use the larger (external CRT) as the primary. I am hoping NOT to have to do a clean install of Revit, since I may replace this laptop in a couple of weeks, looking for good sales at the first of the year. I do think this is somehow more of a graphics card issue as Gonçalo suggests rather than a Revit issue, but I seem to be somehow caught in the twighlight zone.

If you use some type of display management, like the one from nvidia, it has a option for preventing windows from opening off screen area.

ATI does have a display management software, called Catalyst, which I have fooled with in search of a solution, but to no avail. It's really hard to understand what some of the options in that interface really mean. I may just have to submit a question to the ATI people on this one. There has to be some way of calling all the windows home (like sheep) with the display controller.

arqt49
2008-12-15, 01:49 PM
I now have a ati card, too.
Before I had a Nvidia with that option.
With the ATI, you have to use the other monitor to get the window back into place and stick to it.
As I mentioned before, popup windows get the memory of the offset to the program window of the last position used.

Haden
2009-01-03, 03:37 AM
I found the solution:

<ALT> + <Spacebar>,

which brings up a dialogue box that allows you to MOVE or CLOSE the "lost" window.

Thanks for the input.