PDA

View Full Version : How would you do tapered cultured stone?

3dway
2008-12-16, 01:37 PM
I have a wall with cultured stone which tapers about 2" over 7ft. In practice we usually rip wedge shaped furring and clad over it with an appropriate substrate like plywood then start building up the cultured stone system. Not exactly true to corbelled masonry, but we've worked with some really good cultured stone guys.

One tip I had to show tapered masonry in a section was to use a wall reveal. So I make the masonry 2" thicker than it needs to be and carve it away at the top with a swept reveal profile.

If I do this, the section will be wrong for cultured stone. I need the taper to happen within the wall type at the substrate level.

I'm already laying two walls down; one beside the other which gives me an ignorable error that I have to keep in the file. Even if I tried to stack three walls up together, I don't think I could get the third to work, being non vertical.

Any ideas?

3dway
2008-12-16, 02:02 PM
Nevermind.
I made a mass family on the face of sheathing on the exsiting wall, then did wall by face including only the plywood and cultured stone system.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-16, 02:19 PM
Yup, exactly how i would do it. If part of the wall (interior) is strictly vertical, make it a regular wall... Then make just the tapering portion the Wall by Face. And whatever you do, dont let anyone delete the mass, hahaha...

3dway
2009-01-07, 02:31 PM
This seems to be working except that we have windows which cut down into the tapered stone, and I've had to do an in place sweep for the coping and header course. To cut the windows into these, I've had to use voids... against the advice of the best practice guide.

sbrown
2009-01-07, 02:43 PM
Why not add a wall sweep instead of the void? then you can create the profile of the slope and it will cut at windows and doors.

michael.hendershot
2009-01-07, 02:58 PM
Thats how we tend to do it. I've done a few complex fireplaces with lots of tapers. Usually as in-place families. But, for things like this, make yourself a profile family that you can use anywhere and add sweeps to wall types directly or add the sweeps individually and the profile will ensure accuracy.

twiceroadsfool
2009-01-07, 04:21 PM
This seems to be working except that we have windows which cut down into the tapered stone, and I've had to do an in place sweep for the coping and header course. To cut the windows into these, I've had to use voids... against the advice of the best practice guide.

I would edit the mass then, so that it doesnt cover the windows. Its not ideal, but its six of one half dozen of the other.

1. Use a mass + wall by face, and make sure you cut the mass out around the windows and openings beforehand... Then youve got a few different ways to make the headers and copings, depending on how much you include in the mass, etc.

2. Use a wall sweep on the flat vertical wall (in the shape of a wedge), as scott said, which will allow it to be cut by inserts, etc. It wont look proper in section, and it *could* be an issue depending on if and how youre scheduling or pulling off quantities, but it will be easier to put it together...