PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wall Finish Material Under Roof

gd
2008-12-16, 06:15 PM
I'm hoping someone has a clever solution for this... =)

I am trying to remove the finish material from underneath the roofs so that it is not included in the material takeoffs... I have been able to remove the material at the roof/wall junction by joining the geometry, but cannot figure out how to remove the material below that (see images, material I want to remove is highlighted in green). Any thoughts on how to achieve this? I could model a void geometry and use it to cut the wall (through the depth of the finish) but that seems very cumbersome. I was hoping there might be a better way. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Calvn_Swing
2008-12-16, 09:06 PM
We handle this two ways. First, we usually model (except for paints or other membranes) our finishes separately from the partition walls. So, our partition wall will go to deck or 6" above the ceiling, but our Tile will only go to the ceiling (or wherever it is supposed to go).

We find that 90% of the time, if we're taking a wall to deck, we need the gyp to go to deck to (acoustic or fire reasons). In those cases where we want bracing to deck but not the sheathing, we'll create a stacked wall that has one partition type (with Gyp) on bottom with a fixed height to match the ceilings, and a second partition type (no gyp) above with variable height. Swap this in for your single wall and you're done. Much easier than in place voids...