PDA

View Full Version : Revit 64 Bit version

rrothwel
2008-12-16, 06:28 PM
our office uses Windows xp Pro 64 bit, we use Revit Architecture 2009. The 64 bit version came out after we were in full production. What are the benefits to the 64 bit version of Revit Arch? I have 18 computers/seats to install so it will take some time I don't have to spare unless the is some benefit. Anybody want to share their opinion? I was downloading the new sp3, I saw the 64 bit version file size is much smaller which is causing this question. We are subscription members

sbrown
2008-12-16, 06:34 PM
If your project is large and you've experience running out of memory, then yes you want the 64bit, if not it doesn't improve anything except being able to open larger projects and do larger renderings. There maybe some gain normally but not noticable.

sbrown
2008-12-16, 06:35 PM
Note the 2 are completely compatable, you can run some people on the 64 and some on 32 if you want. So you could just install it on a couple of your power users.

3dway
2008-12-16, 08:40 PM
From the manual: (paraphrase)

Windows doesn't reserve virtual memory in the 64 bit OS, so all 4gb are available for use by revit.

There's something about a 3gb memory use switch for 32 bit OS, but I don't fully understand it.

So it's more like the benefit comes from how windows uses memory, instead of how Revit uses memory.

I can't interpret this for you, but I'm sure others here can.

Scott D Davis
2008-12-16, 08:50 PM
If your project is large and you've experience running out of memory, then yes you want the 64bit, if not it doesn't improve anything except being able to open larger projects and do larger renderings. There maybe some gain normally but not noticable.

64 bit will help IF you have the extra RAM, and the current project is pusing the limits of RAM on a 32 bit machine. I recommend 8 gigs on a 64 bit machine minimum.

Calvn_Swing
2008-12-16, 09:21 PM
We're running the 64bit version on several project teams that needed it (and upgraded the computers to 8Gb of Ram at the same time). We're probably about 50/50 in our office with one half being XP-Pro 32bit and 4Gb Ram with 32bit Revit, the other half is Vista 64bit and 8Gb Ram with 64bit Revit and 32bit Revit installed.

As mentioned, you can run everyone on the same central file, so you don't have to upgrade across the board like you do with a new version. For us as well, the only advantage is file size and rendering size. No speed differential to mention. On 64bit machines with only 4GB of memory there really isn't any difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Revit due to installed memory. So, depending on your configuration, either don't worry about it or just start upgrading when you have time. We leave the 32bit version installed because not all the plugins/extensions for Revit work in 64bit. (Most do though).

Edit> There is one downside. People feel like all of a sudden they can make the file as big as they want, and they start loading it with **** left and right. People will also stop unloading worksets they don't need because it isn't neccesary to prevent crashes. As a result, I have noticed that the amount of time people are twiddling their thumbs while saving to central has increased since the upgrade. But, it probably is offset by the reduction in crashes and lost work. Still, it is annoying...

iankids
2008-12-16, 09:46 PM
For me, Revit 2009 under 32 bit xp pro was a bit flaky and would crash, (with loss of data) once every day or so. Changing over to 64 Bit Vista & running Revit 64bit has made everything far more stable and I can't remember the last crash I had.

Cheers,

Ian

rdaniel
2009-06-10, 09:24 PM
We are looking to get a 64-bit test machine here in the office - the Revit project sizes starting to really push the need for extra RAM. So, Kelly, looks like from your post that there aren't any problems with having both 32-bit and 64-bit machines accessing the same central file. I had a reseller tell me otherwise, so I just wanted to confirm.

Have any other problems arisen with hardware (plotters, printers, etc.) or other software packages on your 64-bit machines? I'm worried that there will be a million small bugs that make the switch a royal pain.

Thanks.

cliff collins
2009-06-10, 09:33 PM
see this thread:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=101264

cheers.......

Apsis0215
2009-12-14, 05:47 PM
... 64bit, if not it doesn't improve anything except being able to open larger projects and do larger renderings. There maybe some gain normally but not noticable.

Anyone had experience with Windows 7x64? If so what version and what good/bad have you seen 1st hand??

patricks
2009-12-14, 06:20 PM
Anyone had experience with Windows 7x64? If so what version and what good/bad have you seen 1st hand??

We have 2 machines running win7 x64 and 2010 x64. I haven't seen any issues on my machine other than my system now being too much for my 128 MB graphics card, where before on XP x86 it was fine. Boss's machine has had a couple of crashes but I think it was print driver related.

All in all it's been quite stable. I haven't really put it through its paces on rendering, though, since I made the switch to a 64-bit OS and quadrupled the memory.

mthurnauer
2009-12-14, 06:21 PM
I am running windows 7 with the 64 bit version and now have 8gb of ram. I also got upgraded to a solid state hard drive. So far everything runs much better due to the increased memory and the new faster hard drive (shortens save times by a ton). The only things I have encountered is that the Google earth plug-in does not work and Autodesk Impression 3 does not work either.

William Troeak
2009-12-14, 06:23 PM
Running Windows 7 Pro on laptop with Revit Arch 2010 and AutoCAD 2010 with no problems.

Windows 7 is well worth it if you can get your other programs to play with it.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-14, 07:22 PM
The only things I have encountered is that the Google earth plug-in does not work and Autodesk Impression 3 does not work either.

Is the GE plugin itself not working? Or do you export to KMZ and then the model looks all screwed up when you get in to GE? Thats what im facing on the Vista64 machines here, which is annoying.

The 32 bit machines dont have the guts to open the model in GE.

The 64 bit machines can open them, but they look destroyed, LOL.

William Troeak
2009-12-14, 07:25 PM
Really, I had no problems with Vista 64 bit and GE.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-14, 07:49 PM
Good to know... Im thinking its a video card issue, honestly. So you published the KMZ out of Revit, and opened it in GE on Vista64 and it looked fine?

Can you please tell me what video card and driver youre using? Ive tried on three Vista machines here, all with differing results, only one of which was even close to acceptable...

William Troeak
2009-12-14, 08:04 PM
I have the card that sipped with my laptop: ATI Radeon HD 3200, VERSION 8.632.1.2000

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-14, 08:22 PM
Innnnnnteresting. I will try a few more tests here. Thanks for the info. :)

EDIT: Le sigh. I tried it on the one new V64 system we have here with an ATI v3400 card.... No dice. Forgot to write down the driver number and the user is back on the system. But ill have to keep trying. :(

mthurnauer
2009-12-14, 09:08 PM
Honestly, I have not used the plug-in before. From watching a tutorial on it, I was under the impression that I could go right from revit to GE. It will grab an image from google earth, but when I publish to GE it tells me I must first have it installed which I do.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-14, 10:04 PM
Its pretty seamless, IMHO... (Once its working on your system, hehehe). I just cant get it to look right on the vista boxes here, no idea why...