PDA

View Full Version : Window Infills - One new over two demos - too many walls - a bit of a mess.

3dway
2008-12-17, 03:24 PM
Can anyone shed some light on this issue I'm having with windows and phasing?

There were two windows where this new one is going. The existing were made in the new phase and are demolished in the new construction phase. The new window is installed in the new construction phase.

It's cutting the infill from the lower window but not for the upper window.

Part of this is probably due to the fact that I have too many walls all together. In the existing phase I have the stud wall to the sheathing, then directly along side of it, I have another wall that is the strapping and siding which is to be demolished. This was to get the siding to show on a demolition drawing.

In the new phase, I have the same existing stus wall to the sheathing, a mass for tapered furring, and a new wall including the sheating and cultured stone built by face on the tapered mass.

In this whole arrangement, the old arched window seems to be the problem. Right now it's showing because it's not aligning properly with the window below. If I alighn it properly, I get an error, something to the effect "phasing doesn't match, unable to generate infilling wall". Then this bit if infill shows in the new, AND the new window cuts the existing vinyl siding wall which gets demolished.

Also among the host of problems here is that I can't seem to host a wall sweep in the "wall by face" which is non vertical. Also the window doesn't actually cut the non vertical wall either because you can't do that, or because I get a, "walls are joined but do not intersect" when I try to join it to the stud wall that hosts the window.

Mike Sealander
2008-12-17, 08:41 PM
It looks lilke you have one wall stacked on top of another. One of the existing windows is in the lower wall; the other window is in the upper wall. The new window looks like it is being hosted in the lower wall, therefore not cutting the upper wall. If that's the case, then join the upper and lower walls.

3dway
2008-12-18, 07:15 PM
I appreciate the thoughts on it, but it's actually arranged as a full height stud wall with full height wall of just siding in front of it in the existing phase and another siding wall in the same place in the new phase. This was to show siding only, removed in a demo drawing.

Both windows are hosted by the stud wall.

patricks
2008-12-18, 08:35 PM
Are you going to be showing any of those existing demolished elements (the siding layer) in an existing elevation view? Or will it only show up on a demo plan?

If the latter, I might just do model lines around your stud layer and demolish those in the demo plan. The model lines can be set to existing and demolished in new construction, just like model elements can. Then you wouldn't have to bother with so many different wall types adjacent to one another.

3dway
2008-12-18, 09:03 PM
That's a good idea.

We do, however, find that demolitions elevations show a lot of good information. Things like the fascia to be remove, where we cut the fascia to square from the existing plumb.... where we have to cut off overhangs to make the new roof.... etc. These are all easier to show in elevation.

...now that you present it that way, there are probably some linework tricks and drafting that could do the job.

The need for a couple of walls to show new siding is pretty common. We're usually going from a ****** double four vinyl, to a 6" engineered or wood product.

Re-cladding is part of, just about, every renovation project. How are people doing this?