PDA

View Full Version : Visibility issue with building & linked site model

patricks
2008-12-18, 04:29 PM
I'm doing a small church project, and for the first time have decided to make the site a separate model. This is going to be a great help as it allows the site topography to be in the right place relative to the new and existing church buildings, but also allows the topography's internal points to display the true elevation when the surface is edited.

So anyway, I have the site linked into my building model, shared, and then the building is linked back into the site model. I have created both existing and new pads for both buildings in the site model.

Now back in the building model, I have created my foundation floor slabs, stem walls, and foundation footings. When I cut a section, I can see the topography and the pad from the linked site model, and the stem walls and foundation appear "on top of" the topography, just as it should. However, when I add a slab edge turn down to my floor slab, it does not cover the edge of the building pad like it should. Both are visible as overlapping each other.

Why is this happening? Why do the elements in my building model cover the topography but not the building pad?

Andre Carvalho
2008-12-18, 05:34 PM
Patrick

Would it help if you create your pad with a very small thickness?

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-12-18, 07:49 PM
Patrick

Would it help if you create your pad with a very small thickness?

Andre Carvalho

I suppose that would work, but it would have to be at the elevation of the bottom of the gravel layer, which would mean I would still have to draw the gravel layer in all my section views. I was hoping that I could get away from using filled regions by making a pad represent the gravel layer.

Wait, nevermind, I see that slab edges will now cut floor slabs correctly by the order picked when geometry is joined, so I can make the pad very thin (or just make it have earth fill) and then do another floor for the gravel layer, and it will taper correctly when joined to my thickened slab edge sweep. Sweet! :D

dbaldacchino
2008-12-18, 11:43 PM
I personally think of pads as a water-proofing membrane layer, or the rough-grading line. Then I use floor slabs on top.