PDA

View Full Version : vertical move of generic solid with voids

ray salmon
2008-12-18, 06:31 PM
have garage floor that is made of a generic solid but 2 voids are in it to create the curb above and the foundation profile beneath. however now need to move the whole thing up 4" but get error msg when trying

r

Gigmahabir
2008-12-18, 06:42 PM
What sort of error message? How did you create the floor as a Generic Model family, a generic model in-place family?

If it's a generic model family, all you'd have to do is go to an elevation view and move it vertically the distance you need.

What I suspect is that you created it as an in-place family. What you'll need to do is change the Extrusion End and Extrusion Start parameters.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-18, 07:20 PM
Why not use a floor for the... Floor?

ray salmon
2008-12-18, 07:59 PM
used generic model for garage floor in that it ussually is a monolithic pour with the footing and curb, well at least we show it that way in xs

if you create this using voids to do the cut areas... it really works great
but it doesn't move vertically with move command, I had to edit it and then move everything up

floor objects are good for floors that don't have other vertical issues just need thickness,

trying to getaway from all this cx in dwg sheets....

r

patricks
2008-12-18, 08:31 PM
a MUCH better method would be to do a normal floor slab with the elevation at negative *whatever* below your main floor slab, and then model the curb and footings using slab edge sweeps. Create the profile families, load them in, and then create slab edge types using those sweeps.

That way, all you would have to do would be to change the elevation of the floor slab, and the curb and footings would all move with it.

But to answer your question, if you edit the in-place family, you can then select each solid and sweep, and click the icon in the middle to disassociate work plane. Then you should be able to move the items up or down freely without errors.

ray salmon
2008-12-18, 08:41 PM
sweep idea sounds better... not sure how deal tho the the cutout parts for garage doors where the curb is not needed...
also footing are not always uniform in width and depth

again, my real heart beat on this is cross sections..

r

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-18, 08:51 PM
I agree with partrick wholheartedly. I wouldnt sacrifice the flexibility and ease of use of the Foor System Families, for eliminating any and all touch up work in Sections. A floor with slab edges (where that will work) and some floor hosted families should make this work wonderfully.

As for the curb... When you draw the floor sketch, split the sketch line at the garage doors, and DONT put the floor slab edge there, no curb. Perfect...

I HAVE to believe that will be eons faster than messing with an in place family too.

In place families are...........

Gigmahabir
2008-12-18, 09:11 PM
Those are the methods we use to model monolithic floors as well, Floor Slab edges are extremely useful.

As always Ray, I think you'll find the consensus on these boards are to stay away from the elephant that is an in-place family, unless truly an emergency.

ray salmon
2008-12-18, 09:34 PM
before i try this, will the profiles maintain hatch paterns like concrete.
otherwise sound good to me...
r

Gigmahabir
2008-12-18, 09:45 PM
They do display a cut pattern in section.

eric.piotrowicz
2008-12-18, 10:16 PM
you may need to point the sweep to the correct material to match the rest of the slab.

ray salmon
2008-12-18, 10:18 PM
so then

solids and voids do??

r

patricks
2008-12-18, 10:29 PM
Here's a building section of the project I'm working on right now. There are no in-place families, filled regions or anything in this view, other than the masking region and lines noting the truss space for the roof.

The floor slab is a slab element. The slab edge turn downs are slab edge sweeps. If the materials of both are the same, you can join geometry for a monolithic appearance. The gravel layer is another slab, joined to the slab turn down so the turn down cuts the edges of the gravel layer. The foundation walls are just wall elements, and then those walls have a structural footing applied to them. The topography is in a linked file with a pad.

If the floor should ever have to change elevation, all I have to do is change the level's elevation, and everything would move with it.

Or I could move the slab and gravel layer up or down, and the turn down sweep would also move with it.

eric.piotrowicz
2008-12-18, 10:31 PM
Ray, I wasn't quite sure what you are asking.
The sweeps method is the better way to handle this situation. Once you have added the sweep in the project you may need to go to Element properties > edit/new > click the radio button next to materials and set it to the same material your floor slab is using.
Does this get you were you want to go?

ray salmon
2008-12-18, 11:41 PM
i did try this with profiles and concrete did show as a surface
but would show in cut or cross section view...
unless somewhere hit the wrong button..

r

patricks
2008-12-19, 02:51 PM
can you copy a few elements to a blank file and post it so we can have a look?

ray salmon
2008-12-19, 06:00 PM
did try the profile which is very easy and fast
but did not see the hatch pattern in a cx view
where other wise the solid and void thing did...

also, wasn't sure what "in place" meant that everyone was talking about

well, learning a lot form this...

r

patricks
2008-12-19, 06:06 PM
A hosted profile sweep has a material parameter like most other Revit elements. If you set this to the same material as your floor slab, you can join geometry to make the slab and the curbs/turndowns appear as a single concrete pour. Also, look in your object styles and expand the Floors item. There should be a line for Slab Edges. Change the projection and cut line weights for slab edges to match your main settings for floors, and then it will really look nice and neat.

ray salmon
2008-12-19, 06:43 PM
ok, the deal was did not have detail level set to "fine"
a rather important item to remember

thnx everyone... this was quite valuable for a lot of appts.

oh, can we get reputation points for asking difficult questions...
i don't have my doctorete yet in Revit...

r