PDA

View Full Version : Curtain wall by mass face

robert_taylor
2008-12-18, 08:58 PM
Using Revit 2009 64 bit

I'm trying to create a curtain wall by face of mass because the wall is at a vertical angle. The mass has a few voids in it and we've tried a solid blend & solid sweep and each time it works until we try to put an angle to the vertical mullions.

Anyone have a clue to achieve this or a different way that I haven't tried yet?

anything different is greatly appreciated

Gigmahabir
2008-12-18, 10:25 PM
Using Revit 2009 64 bit as well.

What is the error that is generated? One that says "Can’t create Curtain Wall Mullion. The portion of the curtain grid it was placed on no longer exists."?

This is just informing you that some of the Curtain Mullions need to be deleted. You can always replace them later by going to Modelling>Mullions

Another way you may want to approach it is to create a new type of Curtain System called None. In it there will be Vertical and Horizontal layout of None, then you will select the Curtain System once it's been created, click on the Curtain System icon that pops up and you can then change the vertical gridline angle.

You can then place your gridlines and mullions.

I did a test of this and it worked fine. Maybe you have more complex geometry and a screen shot would be helpful.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-12-18, 11:24 PM
Curtain 'walls' are required by Revit to be vertical. If you need to 'skin' a non vertical plane or any warped surface with curtain wall you must use a curtain 'system'. A curtain system amounts to a gridded mesh composed of grids, mullions and infill panels.
Let me know if I am misunderstanding the problem.

robert_taylor
2008-12-19, 02:12 PM
My error is A serious error has occurred ... I don't crash but I'm unable to to give my curtain wall an angle to the vertical mullions. I've tried creating just a basic rectangular mass which I'm able to apply the curtain wall to and give the vert.'s an angle. Then I edit face selection and re-create the curtain wall to my complex mass only to get another error of "Can't create Curtain Wall Mullion. The grid segment for the Mullion is probably too small." I'm able to do all the above in a new file with nothing in it after I bring in my mass, but I'm unable to return the curtain wall into my project.

I hope this explains everything better. I'm at the point now where I'm just trying different sequences of commands to see what revit will accept. I still have one other curtain wall to do this same way.

Thanks

CampbellArch
2009-01-08, 03:50 PM
Dimitri,

Any tips on how to create this non-vertail curtain "system" as opposed to a curtain wall. I am not familiar with a gridded mesh in Revit.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-01-08, 04:05 PM
From the modeling tab on the design bar you can select the Curtain System>By Face tool. Make sure you r mass object is visible and then select it to create your curtain system. You cna add curtain grids as you like to facet the surface or pre-define the spacing by editing the type parameters.