PDA

View Full Version : Reducing File Size Issue

dgreen.49364
2008-12-18, 09:22 PM
One of our other offices did a Revit project where the file was 192 MB. I want to use this model to link into a new project joining this building. The existing model had a 60 MB Revit model linked into it, numerous dwg files, and about 40 raster images. I removed the linked model, all dwg links, deleted all the images. In addition, I deleted the 200 or so sheets of construction documents as well as all details, drafting views, sections and so on. I also purged all the unused items, a total of 685 items. My intent is to start with a clean, model only file, to link into my new project.

When all done, the file size is now 197 MB. It went from 192 up to 197. How is that possible?

How do I get the file size down on this monstrosity?

Gigmahabir
2008-12-18, 09:27 PM
You could try doing a save as, this should knock some of the file size off.
Other than that you could review the warnings and see if the resolution of some of those brings the file size down.

Did you go through all the views to make sure there are no imported .dwgs still there?

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-18, 09:28 PM
Is the project worksetted? Did you compact the Central File when you saved it?I find i sometimes have to STC twice in a row for it to actually shrink the file size.

How many warnings are in the Tools > review Warnings dialogue? I have done some test here that have inferred that large quantities of warnings drastically inflate the size of the files, as well as seriously hinder general performance. Spending time cleaning out the warning dialogue has- on occasion- almost cut a third off the file size.

But if you deleted every extra view/sheet/detail/link/CAD file, and then saved and it didnt get bigger, i would try the Compact central file. Did the overal PERFORMANCE in the file speed up when you deleted everything?

I wouldnt get too hung up on the SIZE of the file, either.

Also, if its worksetted, how is the project divided up? if you only need it as an existing adjacent, maybe you dont need to link in EVERY workset. But that also depends on how your team breaks the model up...

dgreen.49364
2008-12-18, 09:45 PM
I did start with a SaveAs, no drop in file size from that. I have not compacted the file, but that might be next. The performance did not improve after all the deleting.

The error review is an issue. There are hundreds and hundreds of review warnings. I was hoping to not have to do thru the tedious process of dealing with that.

Here's a question...what if I create a new project and create levels that match the existing model in name and heights. Could I copy and paste from one to other and have a workable model to use?

eric.piotrowicz
2008-12-18, 09:57 PM
You could copy paste the levels from the existing model to the new along with the actual geometry to avoid alittle work.

ajayholland
2008-12-18, 11:42 PM
If you truly desire just the model geometry and nothing else, group everything in a 3D view and convert it to a link. Levels associated with the selected geometry will be included. Grids may be added to the selection in a plan view, or just cut and paste those secondarily.

~AJH

Craig_L
2008-12-19, 02:59 AM
Purge and Compact!!
Regularly! (once per week at the end of your week)
On Monday tell everyone to create the local files from central again, this will ensure no one saves back everything you purged on the friday.

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-19, 01:32 PM
I did start with a SaveAs, no drop in file size from that. I have not compacted the file, but that might be next. The performance did not improve after all the deleting.

The error review is an issue. There are hundreds and hundreds of review warnings. I was hoping to not have to do thru the tedious process of dealing with that.

Here's a question...what if I create a new project and create levels that match the existing model in name and heights. Could I copy and paste from one to other and have a workable model to use?

If there are hundreds of warnings in there, youre not going to find a quick down and dirty way to get a smaller file thats also more efficient.

If you copy and paste in to a new file, youll end up (more than likely) bringing all the same warnings with the model, since the geometry obviously has some conflicts in it.

Take the time to go through and resolve the issues, ill bet the file size drops in half and the performance speeds up...

cliff collins
2008-12-19, 02:03 PM
Sometimes Windows will actually display an incorrect file size, esp. right after
Save-as, or saving in general.

Your file should have decreased in size dramatically, based on the methods you describe
to delete/purge, etc.

I suspect that the file is indeed smaller. I have seen this happen several times,
and once windows was restarted, it reported the new "correct" file size.

However, if the file got LARGER upon re-saving after your redcutions, then you have some other sort of issues with the file. Does it contain a large number of in-place families?
Are there any Design Options? Groups? Familes with formulas?

Keep us posted.

cheers......

dgreen.49364
2008-12-19, 06:40 PM
After more cleanup the file size is now 202 MB. I emailed a Revit consultant and she is at a loss as to why a file would increase in size after so much has been removed. I understand the issues of Review Warnings and I understand about compacting a file. Separate from that, what I don't understand is how a file could increase in size after so much has been deleted from the file. That makes no sense to me. Less is more?

I am hoping to not have to deal with the Review Warnings simply because I did not work on this project and have no desire to spend days cleaning up somebody else's mess. What I did try was to copy and paste the geometry into a clean project file. As far as I can tell, everything transferred, but a few things seem off. If I can clean it up quickly, this is probably the route I will take. File size after the copy and paste is 45 MB. Workable.

ajayholland
2008-12-19, 09:11 PM
Be aware that the file size indicated when the file is open is not its actual size. To determine the actual size, compact and save, then close Revit and examine the file in a Windoz browser.

~AJH