PDA

View Full Version : Got the R7 features list

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-08, 06:14 PM
Autodesk posted the PDF of all that's new in R7 on their One Team Web extranet. Lots of good stuff... the embargo on this info was off 1 October, but I'm not clear as to if I can post it here.

:confused:

BillyGrey
2004-10-08, 06:33 PM
Talk about a tease...

C'mon Wes, shoot me an email, and I'll accidentally push "Quick-Reply"

Scott D Davis
2004-10-08, 06:34 PM
What's the "One Team Extranet"?? (and how come I didn't know about it???)

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-08, 06:41 PM
It appears that the information in the PDF is for resellers only to get their heads around the new features, and then be able to inform customers individually on what's coming.

We need to give the dev team lots of slack. Any dates that have been mentioned are unofficial at this point, which gives Fedor and his crew more time to get all their thumbs aligned properly (I still chuckle at that post... it's a classic)

And also remember that 6 came out before the serial numbers did for it, so I would treat the downloadable version as a means to get familiar with 7 before using it on a project. I would not start a project on 7 until I had a serial number for it!

gregcashen
2004-10-08, 07:24 PM
So post it already!! ;-)

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-08, 07:41 PM
Ah, there's just no placating the insatiable user community!

J. Grouchy
2004-10-08, 07:59 PM
I have it!

I could give some hints...but then I'd have to kill you.

trent59822
2004-10-08, 08:02 PM
You guys are just mean.

J. Grouchy
2004-10-08, 08:06 PM
Actually...I really would like to give it all up, but the black helicopters might come for me ;).

No really...the list I have looks like they've put a great deal of work into the new release...hitting, at least to some degree, all aspects of the software. I can say already that I can see many of the wishlist items in here, so it's real evidence of the developers' open eyes/ears/doors.

Les Therrien
2004-10-08, 08:09 PM
I am sending a red helicopter to your house if you don't cough it up!!!!

J. Grouchy
2004-10-08, 08:12 PM
I'm sure a very minor hint about a very minor enhancement won't matter.

One word...

Nudge.

Also...David Conant was not hoaxing us on those screen shots of his.

Scott Hopkins
2004-10-08, 08:26 PM
Autodesk posted the PDF of all that's new in R7 on their One Team Web extranet. Lots of good stuff... the embargo on this info was off 1 October, but I'm not clear as to if I can post it here.

:confused:
Wes,

In all seriousness, just what would Autodesk do to you if you did post the new features PDF on the AUGI forum? Would it be a slap on the wrist or could they take away your reseller ability?

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-10-08, 08:32 PM
Go Ahead Wes... Post it! If you get fired you'd have a whole new group of friends to comfort you in your hour of need. Besides, you know you could get a job with us in a flash.

PS Are we still on for that beer after work? I'm buying. :wink:

sfaust
2004-10-08, 08:36 PM
jeez! talk about peer pressure! I'm (almost) glad I don't have any insider info!

:D

Prodev75
2004-10-08, 08:37 PM
What's the "One Team Extranet"?? (and how come I didn't know about it???)

"Shhh everyone" don't tell Scott ****Scott hears laughter in the background******

lol

skpark
2004-10-08, 08:42 PM
oh man, never thought I'd miss having access to OTW

Thomas Cummings
2004-10-08, 08:44 PM
Here you go folks:

http://downloads.taylor-tech.com/pdfs/Revit_7_Features_Benefits.pdf

Thomas Cummings
2004-10-08, 08:48 PM
And here:

http://downloads.taylor-tech.com/pdfs/Revit_7_Preview_Guide.pdf

JamesVan
2004-10-08, 09:07 PM
If you aren't familiar with the rules for a public company, be careful about divulging confidential information. If word spreads about the new (fantastic) features of an upcoming version of software and a sudden surge of revenue comes in, Autodesk may have to defer reporting that revenue until the following financial period or they'll face penalties from the SEC (think Computer Associates). Who knows what action Bartz & Co. would take on individuals creating adverse financial situations for Autodesk.

skpark
2004-10-08, 09:07 PM
thanky for the pdf. WOW the upgrades are cool. Please please please I hope silhouette edges means sketchup-type edges.

sbrown
2004-10-08, 09:10 PM
Ah no more secrets. What an awesome list of features.

J. Grouchy
2004-10-08, 09:11 PM
To me the Stacked Wall Types feature is one of the better upgrades.

I suppose they don't waste much pdf space describing tiny changes like shortcut improvements or obvious UI changes that people may have been requesting. It'll be interesting what people find when it IS released and we all become accustomed to it.

Thomas Cummings
2004-10-08, 09:15 PM
James,

I merely did a Google search for "Revit 7 Features List" and hit a reseller's website that had the .pdf's posted right out in the open.

Scott Hopkins
2004-10-08, 09:18 PM
Thomas - Your the man!

:mrgreen:

Thomas Cummings
2004-10-08, 09:22 PM
Not According To James!

Scott D Davis
2004-10-08, 09:32 PM
Guys,

I hated to do it, but I had to remove the threads with the links. We were specifically asked by the Revit guys not to post the PDF's if we had them. Those of you that saw them, please refrain from reposting them here, and until we get more word from Revit, I would also ask that any features discussed in those PDF's that have not already been "previewed" here by Matt Jezyk or David Conant, not be discussed. I didn't want to play the heavy-handed moderator, but felt that you all would understand. We are all eager to know whats new (me especially!) but we also must respect the wishes of the product designers and staff of Revit, and let them release the information when they feel they are ready.

Thanks for your understanding.

Les Therrien
2004-10-08, 09:50 PM
email me!

I won't tell

t.design@cogeco.ca

please!!!

tarch
2004-10-08, 10:01 PM
ME too

Alek

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-08, 10:11 PM
Wes,

In all seriousness, just what would Autodesk do to you if you did post the new features PDF on the AUGI forum? Would it be a slap on the wrist or could they take away your reseller ability?They wouldn't do anything. What we're up to is trying to cool things off so the Factory can get their work done without all of us breathing down their necks!

Autodesk won't smack anyone around for downloading those PDFs. If you can find them, you can read them. We'll even put them on our website at some point, but do remember that the use of Revit 7 for production is probably a couple of months away.

hdjohnson
2004-10-09, 03:31 AM
I'm with everyone else. Just email me the pdf and nobody gets hurt!!! Seriously, you won't see me complaining....

GuyR
2004-10-09, 08:55 AM
If you aren't familiar with the rules for a public company, be careful about divulging confidential information. If word spreads about the new (fantastic) features of an upcoming version of ....snip.... financial situations for Autodesk.

If this is such a big deal how come Microsoft can go on and on and on.... about longhorn features etc YEARS before it's released? Is it just because they make so much money they don't care what year it gets reported :-)

Guy

beegee
2004-10-09, 10:41 PM
If this is such a big deal how come Microsoft can go on and on and on.... about longhorn features etc YEARS before it's released? Is it just because they make so much money they don't care what year it gets reported :-)

Guy
Its more likely to be that anyone with sense, actually sells their MS shares when they hear talk of a new ms "feature" :wink:

Jit
2004-10-10, 10:44 PM
did a search on google for revit 7.0

alll features are listed on a website Xanadu.cz

too bad I cant understand that language

Joef
2004-10-10, 10:52 PM
There is one in English just keep looking. "Revit 7.0 features" .

Kirky
2004-10-10, 11:23 PM
With due respect to Scotts request is there anybody here that hasn't seen R7 Feature list? Can we speculate about what it apparently doesn't have?

kimheaver
2004-10-10, 11:54 PM
With due respect to Scotts request is there anybody here that hasn't seen R7 Feature list?

ME!, the one standing on a chair waving my arms, I've just spend half an hour on google & yahoo with no luck, its easier to find a crack copy than whats in 7.0.

Kim

OK, got it, thanks all.

Regards,
Kim

beegee
2004-10-11, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't speculate till its released.

" There's many a slip ....... "

With due respect to Scotts request is there anybody here that hasn't seen R7 Feature list? Can we speculate about what it apparently doesn't have?

narlee
2004-10-11, 12:52 AM
Sure it's too late, but Revit Team, please if you're listening, put in an option to make "mitered" wall intersections the default mode. On balance, it's what I (at least) use 95% of the time, even if it isn't "pure."

Muchos Gracias,
Geof Narlee.

vmichl
2004-10-11, 05:44 AM
did a search on google for revit 7.0
alll features are listed on a website Xanadu.cz
too bad I cant understand that language
no, they are not - we maintain a version history on our Revit page but there is no info about the 7.0 yet... (other than it will come this year)

V.Michl, www.Xanadu.cz

Chad Smith
2004-10-11, 06:41 AM
I hope we get to use the new 3D DWF capabilities from R7.0.
I had forgotten about the 3D side of DWF until this arvo.

ajayholland
2004-10-11, 12:49 PM

It was pure coincidence that I saw the Preview Guide and New Features list during the few minutes before the info was recalled. It's somewhat like discovering the Christmas gifts before they are wrapped.

Regardless of what features are included (or not), I note that the enhancements are significant, and many would be very helpful on the projects I have in progress right now!

~AJH

Vincent Valentijn
2004-10-11, 02:39 PM
Metanoia .. I can access OTW and ADN extranet but I can't find the document you're talking about? Can you tell me where to look for it?

Marek Brandstatter
2004-10-11, 03:07 PM
Vincent, me neither - I think Europe/Africa OTW is different to USA.

zbubbas
2004-10-11, 03:55 PM
A search of Revit 7 pdf will find you what you are looking for.... very nice.

mmolina
2004-10-11, 04:26 PM
If anybody needs the 2 Revit "new features" .pdf's email me
at mmolina@lgainc.com and I'll get them to you.
I hope this is not a problem "moderator man"?

Scott D Davis
2004-10-11, 04:54 PM
"Your resistance is futile...."

We as moderators can only do what we're asked in regards to AUGI. I would love to post the PDF's here, and I will....when it's appropriate. I would never ask you not to Google, or to email amongst yourselves.

narlee
2004-10-11, 09:43 PM
Mr. McGrew is going to LOVE this. From taylor-tech website: http://downloads.taylor-tech.com/pdfs/Revit_7_Preview_Guide.pdf

Autodesk VIZ 2005 Support
In addition to the native rendering and animation capabilities in Autodesk Revit, you can
also fully realize your designs with Autodesk® VIZ 2005. Import Revit-produced 3D DWG
files into Autodesk VIZ 2005 (via plug-in), complete with Revit materials, to create stunning
photorealistic interior and exterior renderings.

Geof Narlee

narlee
2004-10-11, 09:50 PM
That "Building Maker" thing. Found in the features & benefits category of Revit 7 on Taylor-Tech.com

Concept Modeling Tools Encourages design exploration and eases the transition
from common conceptual and schematic design tasks to
design development with all new massing tools that are
collectively known as “Building Maker.”
Building components can be created by selecting massing
or generic model faces.
• Walls: Vertical mass faces
• Curtain System: Any mass face
• Roof: Sloping and horizontal faces of masses.
• Floors: Floor Area faces, and horizontal faces of
masses

Although these elements are not locked to the faces, they
do remain associated and can be automatically updated as
the underlying mass is modified.

beegee
2004-10-11, 09:51 PM
Guys please !

Just to reiterate.....

. We were specifically asked by the Revit guys not to post the PDF's if we had them. Those of you that saw them, please refrain from reposting them here, and until we get more word from Revit, I would also ask that any features discussed in those PDF's that have not already been "previewed" here by Matt Jezyk or David Conant, not be discussed. I didn't want to play the heavy-handed moderator, but felt that you all would understand. We are all eager to know whats new (me especially!) but we also must respect the wishes of the product designers and staff of Revit, and let them release the information when they feel they are ready.

Thanks for your understanding.
Can we stay with that for the moment ?

narlee
2004-10-11, 09:55 PM
Sorry, bee-gee.

DaveP
2004-10-12, 05:47 PM
I got three PDF files Re: Revit 7 forwarded to me from a vendor (not mine)
Anybody notice Page 15 of the Preview Guide?
Talk about teasers!
Revit 9 maybe?
(Hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but I did get it from a vendor)

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-10-12, 06:11 PM
Now Dave,
Don't go spreading rumors and getting everyone all worked up. The image is there to illustrate Import improvements in 3D solids
I think what this means is that you can import 'real' geometry from applications like Autodesk Systems and ADT with better results.
You're may be right though. The way the factory works we'll probably have full 3D HVAC in Revit 9.

Jarod
2004-10-12, 06:26 PM
I have been looking at the "preview guide" file and I must say it looks like ADT2005 interface enhancements have been applied to Revit 7.0 which is great cause I miss some of those tools. The revision and legend stuff is pretty cool and it looks like the schedule table interface has finally to the level ADT2005. The HVAC picture that eveyone is seeing is a Building Systems HVAC layout linked into Revit 7.0 which is great. Things like that need to addressed until Revit gets Building Systems for itself. Looks like a great release, I really love the idea that we can finally do Stacked Wall types like ADT2005 and fillet walls after the fact with a radius like ADT2005.

I'm not bringing up ADT2005 to get everyone in a uproar I'm just stating facts that I miss from ADT2005. All this does for me is make me more happy about Revit than ADT. So what is wrong with that ;^)

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-12, 06:50 PM
...and fillet walls after the fact with a radius...fyi, You can fillet walls after the fact now...you just need to notice that last little tool button on the options bar when you have Walls picked and ready to draw. Click the tool button, enter a value, pick two intersecting walls and "fillet" away.

Conversely, I believe the NEW feature allows you to fillet the walls as you draw them instead...could be wrong though.

Jarod
2004-10-12, 06:57 PM
Learn something new everyday.... Thanks....

Scott D Davis
2004-10-12, 11:22 PM
OKAY!!! It's open season! Christie Landry from Autodesk Revit has posted (officially!) the What's New in 7.0 PDF! You can find it HERE! (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=9415)

I've restored all removed posts below (or above, depending on your personal Forum settings :) )......thanks for your patience and understanding!

adegnan
2004-10-13, 11:49 AM
Aww. geez, I was just starting to feel special because I got a copy yesterday afternoon and I wanted to stick out my tongue too!

But anyway, I say that Dick Barath et al should be pleased with some structural improvements!!!

hand471037
2004-10-13, 04:28 PM
Mr. McGrew is going to LOVE this. From taylor-tech website: http://downloads.taylor-tech.com/pdfs/Revit_7_Preview_Guide.pdf

Autodesk VIZ 2005 Support
In addition to the native rendering and animation capabilities in Autodesk Revit, you can
also fully realize your designs with Autodesk® VIZ 2005. Import Revit-produced 3D DWG
files into Autodesk VIZ 2005 (via plug-in), complete with Revit materials, to create stunning
photorealistic interior and exterior renderings.

Geof Narlee

'cept for the fact that I don't like Viz ;)

But it is exciting.

david.metcalf
2004-10-14, 12:05 AM
We will just have to wait for the "offical" news.

christie.landry
2004-10-14, 02:46 AM
Well in reading the thread there is still a few you guys haven't found out about.
Like:
Spot Coordinates not just elevations either...

Mr Spot
2004-10-14, 03:41 AM
Well in reading the thread there is still a few you guys haven't found out about.
Like:
Spot Coordinates not just elevations either...
Thank god for that. I personally find setout plans extremely laborious. I assume this means we'll be able to pick a point and have it note the x,y coordinates?

Cheers factory!