PDA

View Full Version : Linking & Importing

Grumple
2008-12-21, 07:18 PM
Hi all,

I was expecting the views I set up in a project to be transfered into another project when I linked them.

I basically have a simple house in 1 project and it has a few detail views. I wanted this house linked into a large site plan project and then was hoping to be able to show the detail views in the large project sheets.

Is there any way of doing this? or is it a case of having to redo them in the large project?

Cheers

eric.piotrowicz
2008-12-21, 08:43 PM
Although I'm not sure this works for all view types it does work on plans quite well.
We are doing the core and shell package while another firms handles the interior and to see their annotation, go to the revit links tab in visibility/graphics, select the link file and pick the button under display settings. In the new window pick the basics tab and pick 'by linked view' and in the first pull down you will have a list of views in the linked file.
If you pick 'custom' you have the ability to adjust the visibily of all elements of the linked file using the adjacent model and annotation tabs, just pick custom from the pull down near the top of each of those tabs.
Let me know if you still have trouble getting what you need.

Scott Womack
2008-12-22, 11:17 AM
I basically have a simple house in 1 project and it has a few detail views. I wanted this house linked into a large site plan project and then was hoping to be able to show the detail views in the large project sheets.

Is there any way of doing this? or is it a case of having to redo them in the large project

You will have to re-create the sections, elevations, callouts, and details in the project you are linking them into. Then, in each recreated view, you can set the linked model to show its view by customizing the link, and setting the linked view to its specific view name. It does not work for drafting views, schedules, nor legends. Each view will show dimensions, notes, door tags, etc. from the linked file. I'm not sure if room names/numbers appear. This is the designed workflow at the moment.

Grumple
2008-12-22, 01:00 PM
Hi guys,

I'll try those out later!

I've found the 'save to new file' and 'insert from file' functions - thought this would be perfect for what I need, but it doesn't recognise callouts as 'drafting views' so I can't transfer them!!

Why?! - It is surely rare that drafting is done on a blank page in Revit...

Is there any way that I can make a callout view (with model data in the background as 'auto-detailing') into a drafting view that will be possible to transfer?

Thanks for all input, I am learning (slowly...) : )

Scott Womack
2008-12-22, 01:07 PM
I've found the 'save to new file' and 'insert from file' functions - thought this would be perfect for what I need, but it doesn't recognise callouts as 'drafting views' so I can't transfer them!! Why?! - It is surely rare that drafting is done on a blank page in Revit...

A Callout is looking at a part of your model. Therefor "transfering" it would also be transfering your model geometry as well. That is why you cannot save it directly to file.

Is there any way that I can make a callout view (with model data in the background as 'auto-detailing') into a drafting view that will be possible to transfer?

IF you place 2D components overtop of EVERY thing in your view, you would have two choices for transfering the information. One would be to load 2D components from a view in another file, but these have to be loaded into the same kind of view in the new project. This means section to section, callout plan to callout plan, or callout detail to callout detail. You can also, create a drafting view of the same scale, copy and past the 2D info into that (using the Filter to ensure there is no 3D info).

Those are your choices. IT is hard to completly wrap your head around the true 3D modeling/BIM concepts to understand what can be transfered.

Grumple
2008-12-22, 02:07 PM
Thanks Scott, I'm starting to compile my own mini Revit wish list though!

Just seems such a waste to only be able to transfer '2D' data like this. You should be able to 'flatten' the 3D model behind any drafting components in order to transfer that data as 2D...

I guess the view could be transfered to DWG? Then all lines would be present and this could then be pasted into a drafting view?

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-22, 02:21 PM
The Linked view method DOES work... By RECREATE the view, that doesnt mean you have to redetail it.

It just means you literally have to make a callout in the new file. Then, in the callout, go to VG > RVT Links tab > Click Custom > put the first drop down on By Linked View, and select the name of the callout in the file youre trying to reference. The model, the view settings, the notes, and the tags will all show up just as they are in the other file.

No need to *flatten* or dumb down the view in that model... Plus it always stays linked...