PDA

View Full Version : IFC and Revit

pfaudler
2008-12-22, 02:51 PM
Dear Reviteers,

What is Autodesk's take on IFC file format?

I dont hear anything on this matter from Autodesk. In terms of interoperability in AEC industry do we not need to push for vendor neutral, non-proprietery file format?
What about gbxml even? I think IFC is in the the industry for about 10 years now but dont see any project embracing IFC. Does IFC (or gbxml) has any problem? I have seen IFC, gbxml talked about in varios industry reports but never seen any project executed using IFC (or non-proprietery format).

It seems Autodesk is pushing nwc file format for data exchange rather than IFC or gbxml.
I havent been to AU this year but was there anything from Autodesk on IFC or gbxml etc?
Any info you can share here would be very much appreciated.

Merry Christams and Happy New year to all of you and AUGI

Regards

Rahul

Scott D Davis
2008-12-22, 03:50 PM
Revit reads/writes IFC 2x3 and can produce gbXML.

gbXML is used to interface with Green Building Studio, and I see this used by Revit project teams all the time.

Autodesk is one of the main players in the IFC development. In fact, the certification process for 2x3 occurred in the Autodesk office in Waltham before 2x3 went public....all of the big players were there.

Autodesk is big on interoperability. We recently signed an agreement with Bentley to allow better exchange of data between Autodesk and Bentley prodcts.

pfaudler
2008-12-22, 05:01 PM
Thanks very much Scott.
It is helful to know this.

In my experience and learning from some contractors who are collaborating Arch+Struct.+M&E data in Navisworks, Revit exported IFC file loses some data when opened in Navisworks for collaboration with other consultant's data. Is this true?

Recently, here in UK, I have had one of the big contractors asking for NWC file format to all team members instead of IFC for whole project collaboration in Navisworks. I then talked about IFC file format and they said IFC is not reliable and Autodesk also keeps silence on this issue. And i was shocked. Looking at their global position in the market and relation with Autodesk (yes they use Revit+Navisworks etc. globally) i thouhgt they may be right.

This means that all design team members need to buy Navisworks just to supply them NWC file instread of IFC. We as architect only need Navisworks viewer to view NWC/NWD files and most of the time we will be doing copy monitor for Structure and Archtiecture in Revit for inter discipline collaboration.

Can you please guide me in the right direction for this? Is there any autodesk material or weblink that talks about Autodesk's interest in IFC or gbxml?

Thanks in anticipaiton.

Regards

Scott Womack
2008-12-23, 11:09 AM
Thanks very much Scott.
It is helful to know this.

This means that all design team members need to buy Navisworks just to supply them NWC file instread of IFC. We as architect only need Navisworks viewer to view NWC/NWD files and most of the time we will be doing copy monitor for Structure and Archtiecture in Revit for inter discipline collaboration.

Download the evaluation version of Navisworks Manage, and you'll be able to install the export Plug-in to Revit. Even after the evaluation copy stops working, the export plug-in appears to keep working. With the plug-in, you'll be able to export the NWC native Navisworks files.

pfaudler
2008-12-23, 11:24 AM
Thanks very much Scott for your kind reply.
I will download it and give it a go.

But then is it true that IFC loses data during export on a large project. I am talking about healthcare projects, say 300+ beds hospital. If we have several building on site then we consider each building as a seperate revit project. So i thought it shuoldnt be a problem during IFC export but then the contractor said IFC is not reliable and it loses data blah..blah.. I have never experienced IFC file sharing myself but want to try on the new project.

I think this is really helpful and i have also downloaded some info from autodesk press link about their IFC take. I can now vouch for IFC for collaboration, i guess!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year