PDA

View Full Version : Window and Door Tags driven by Room Number

cdsuggs
2008-12-22, 08:48 PM
Hello,

I would like to achieve the following scenario:

-I create a room and who's number is "1".

-When I place a Window in the room, the Window tag automatically reads "1.A"

-If I change the room number to “2”, the Window tag automatically changes to “2.A”

-Any subsequent Windows added will automatically read “2.B”, “2.C”, etc.

It seems there must be a way for the Window’s “Mark” to be driven by “Room Number<dot>Alpha Character”.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

twiceroadsfool
2008-12-22, 08:50 PM
Cant do it with Revit, OOTB. You might be able to find a third part app or add on or an API command that will do it though.

I think Avatech has something along those lines...

Steve_Stafford
2008-12-22, 09:42 PM
Check out Avatech's Revit Utilities (http://www.avatech.com/revitutilities): Door Renumber specifically.

cdsuggs
2008-12-22, 10:29 PM
Hmm, should I be surprised this functionality isn't built into Revit? Perhaps someone has a clever 'cheat' to get something similar?

I've tried the Avatech plug-ins, they run like a macro rather than adding intelligence to the model and don't really have the level of settings needed to be a true band-aid.

We build custom homes so the labor of manually editing isn't as-bad-as say, a firm that designs 50+ story buildings. I wonder how they deal? Is it a matter of having the project template, families, and workflows completely wired? From an designers approach, this lack of funciton seems counter-productive.

Steve_Stafford
2008-12-23, 12:13 AM
It surprises new users that have used ADT before perhaps. Door numbering is done in many more ways than might be expected at first glance. The Avatech tool's approach resolves a number of the common habits. It isn't automatic, meaning it doesn't update door numbers without user interaction but then room numbering in Revit isn't automatic either except for when you first place one.

A solution is overdue in Revit itself, but I bet a built in solution would still leave some users wanting....witness the Revision tool. Whenever a documentation practice has a wide range of highly specific actual approaches a general purpose solution often ends up anemic. It has been my observation that, historically, when the developers have been faced with such lackluster "return on investment" they've tackled other problems.

In the meantime the Avatech tool is better than doing it by hand (if it works for your door numbering habits) and it "costs" "you" nothing, no money that is.

CADMama
2009-05-11, 02:46 PM
It surprises new users that have used ADT before perhaps. Door numbering is done in many more ways than might be expected at first glance. The Avatech tool's approach resolves a number of the common habits. It isn't automatic, meaning it doesn't update door numbers without user interaction but then room numbering in Revit isn't automatic either except for when you first place one.

A solution is overdue in Revit itself, but I bet a built in solution would still leave some users wanting....witness the Revision tool. Whenever a documentation practice has a wide range of highly specific actual approaches a general purpose solution often ends up anemic. It has been my observation that, historically, when the developers have been faced with such lackluster "return on investment" they've tackled other problems.

In the meantime the Avatech tool is better than doing it by hand (if it works for your door numbering habits) and it "costs" "you" nothing, no money that is.

Does this work with 2010?

Scott Womack
2009-05-11, 05:45 PM
Does this work with 2010?

I don't believe they have released the 2010 versions of their utilities yet. We should be seeing them soon. They try to have them updated within 30 days of formal Revit release.

cdsuggs
2009-05-28, 05:20 PM
Looks like there is still no OOTB way to dynamically manage window and door marks based on the room number.

I haven't tried the Avatech plugin on 2010, I'm sure it still works since it's a script/macro.

Now that the UI is all pretty'ed up, hopefully 2011 will have fixes to this and many other lackluster features. C'mon Autodesk, don't forget about the power users, here.

Chuckyd67
2009-07-20, 03:18 AM
Avatech's solution costs $400.00!!!!

cliff collins
2009-07-20, 09:49 PM
What happens if you do the following:

1. Layout walls/floor plan/add doors

2. Place Rooms in a method which tickles your office's fancy.

3. Go to "tag all not tagged" for Door tags---does Revit fill them in,
automatically and in chronological order?

( I don't have Revit open--the age-old excuse for posts like this! )

cheers...........

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-20, 09:56 PM
They still wont have any relevance to the room numbers... Theyll tag (i believe) in order of creation, since theyre getting Mark values when theyre created, not when you tag them...

Scott Womack
2009-07-21, 09:52 AM
Avatech's solution costs $400.00!!!!

Well, If you had signed up for them before june, you are able to download them, and activate 5 seats for free until 7/31/09

cliff collins
2009-07-21, 12:48 PM
If the Rooms are put in in correct order, the the doors will number in order.........

and with a few edits you'll have Rooms and Doors numbered pretty quick.

Granted it's not automatic, as the OP suggests, but works well with some thoughful
planning and placement of Rooms and Doors.

cheers............

DaveP
2009-07-21, 04:25 PM
Again, this isn't automatic, but what we've done is to create a Door schedule that lists

Door Number | From Room | To Room
Then, if all three numbers are different, you can quickly see which ones need to change

greg.mcdowell
2009-07-21, 04:46 PM
What's your time worth? On a large project I'd guess that the time it would take you to do what the Avatech tool does is well in excess of $400. I know it is for me.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-21, 05:33 PM
If the Rooms are put in in correct order, the the doors will number in order.........

and with a few edits you'll have Rooms and Doors numbered pretty quick.

Granted it's not automatic, as the OP suggests, but works well with some thoughful
planning and placement of Rooms and Doors.

cheers............

Not if you have more than one door for each room... lol :)