PDA

View Full Version : selecting painted on materials

vanderloo5
2008-12-26, 09:59 PM
Happy Holidays everyone.
I painted a wood shake material on my exterior walls in a project and later on noticed that the shake pattern was actually upside down. Now I'm trying to select the painted on material to edit it, and can't. What's the trick to select/edit a painted on material? Actually, part 2 of this question would be; how do I prevent the material from going on upside down again??
Thanks,
Phil

mark.98140
2008-12-27, 12:40 AM
i would assume it is simply a case of editing the material itself and revising it's orientation (through the material editor)... you can't per see select a painted material to edit other than simply hover over it with the paint brush to identify the painted materials name.

vanderloo5
2008-12-27, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't there be a case by case editing capability for different instances of the material application??? What if I wanted to use the same material for different instances but scaled slightly differently? Please tell me it's not a matter of editing the material in the material editor. That would mean it would have to have the same properties wherever it's applied in the drawing. NOT RIGHT!

muttlieb
2008-12-27, 02:12 AM
Regarding your original question re: orientation of the hatch pattern, hover over the pattern and tab until it highlights the pattern. Then use the rotate tool to rotate the pattern 180 deg.

Joef
2008-12-27, 02:38 AM
The difficult part of selecting the material is that the bar that tells you what you are selecting (not sure what it is called) does not tell you that your selection has changed from the wall itself to the surface material. It will still say "wall blah blah" even after you tab between wall and surface. You will know that you have selected the surface and not the wall itself when you click on it and the whole wall does not turn red. Also the only modifying commands that will be available will be move and rotate commands. Hope this helps. Why the #@$% material comes in upside down is a mystery. It has been doing this for years.

vanderloo5
2008-12-27, 03:30 AM
Thank You Joef. Haven't tried it yet but that would explain why I thought I was unable to select the material. The selection dialog just said wall, blah blah blah as I tabbed through it. Are you saying that I will be unable to scale the material once selected? It seems to be way too small by default.
Phil

Joef
2008-12-27, 06:16 AM
No, you cannot scale the material, just move or rotate. You have to create an entirely new fill pattern at a different scale. :-(

mmates
2008-12-29, 03:43 PM
Happy Holidays everyone.
...Actually, part 2 of this question would be; how do I prevent the material from going on upside down again??
Thanks,
Phil
The materials applied depend on the direction the wall was drawn. So if the material displays upside down and the wall was drawn right to left, try drawing the wall left to right and then reapply the material